SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within two days of showing him the oil line part that I need to drill and tap the block with he found me another identical part that was much beefier looking with the same threads but a slightly smaller internal diameter, but I'm not too concerned with that. He's also obtained the exact drill and tap we need. So we can get that done anytime. My dad's the man :) We will probably do it in the next two weeks and just plug the hole so it can be ready in the future.

I'll ask again, anyone know how to port stuff?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ben, what are you gonna port? if it is your manifold and downpipe, I would try a really bad a$$ dremel tool (read AIR tool) that rotates about 28-30k rpms. they make a porting kit you can buy from summit or the eastwood co. you might also be able to pick one up from jegs. it comes with everything you need. basically all it is is widening your airflow. your best bet is to port match everything, but that is a little more difficult, but can result in more hp. that is when you go through and basically make everythign match up, like your exhaust ports on your head, manifold, turbo side, turbo exhaust housing (I would not touch that w/ a 10 foot pole) and downpipe, I would also match up the gaskets. probably take your a weekend to do the job correctly, taking your time, learning, and not dying from heat. oh wait, no 120 degree days in IN :)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunno. Scares me too :). I could easily do that elbow I have that goes from the turbo manifold to the turbine side that I have extra, but the only thing I'm afraid of there is that I won't have the gaskets I need for the turbo. I think Mike could get them for me, but hate to disable my turbo without having the parts to put it back together. Plus how much is that elbow worth to sell to someone? Since I already obviously have one on the turbo and I need $$$ I would rather sell it.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Yo ben all the gaskets in/around the turbo are copper. I reused the one off my turbo when I took my down pipe off. As long as you don't beat the **** out of them you should be able to reuse them.

The elbo your talking about has the O2 sensor bung and 3 studs in it rite? If so its really called the down pipe ;) At least thats what the guy at SOKO called it.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Ben here is my cheap piping.

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/mgoss/MakeyourownICpiping.html

Mike "cheap IC piping" Gosselin

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. :)

How's come you didn't pipe the thing straight down to the IC? Why did you go ALL the way back to one side of the IC then ALL the way back to the other? Is there no room to go down there from top to botton on the left of the engine bay?

·
_______
3,640 Posts
No room at all. Look down in the left of your engine bay. You have the AC,belts,altinator and pullies. The prob with the BB T25 is the outlet is pointing up and to the left. On the HS kit the turbo outlet is facing down and routs to the left under the bumper. Trust me I would have tried to do it that way nut I just coulden't squeeze it through with out running into that **** spinning around on the left of the motor waiting to grab hold of pipes,wires,hands etc.

Even if I relocate my washer fluid tank I won't be able to get it over to that area. The damn AC line are in the way.

Mike

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't tried it, but Mike Jez says you can easily rotate the compressor section so you can point the outlet anywhere you want. If you want I can play with mine since it's out of the car to deny or confirm this.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anywhere you want meaning up and down in the same plane, not left and right

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Hey if you could get the compressor to point down that would be awesome. It would make the routing much easyer. I don't think it can be done but its worth a try. Let me know what you find out.

Mike

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just spent a couple hours trying to see ho that thing would turn.

#1 I have no f$%@ing clue how the thing would turn :)

and

#2 the wastegate solenoid is solidly bolted to the compressor housing and it needs to be right there for that metal rod to open the wastegate. Without being bolted to it right there it the solenoid would just move on the end of that rod back and forth since the wastegate inside the turbine housing is pretty friggin stiff. So even if you could rotate it you'd need to do something to hold the wastegate solenoid in place. *sigh*

Wow, that makes me sound pretty smart huh? :) Well, just get a few wrenches and socket set and a T25 and you could figure the same things out. That's all I did -- go at it :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts