SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need some advice on my launches, my 98'200 ser slips and jerks alot off the line, most of the time i pop it around 5000,but if i drop it much lower, i dont peel and it takes way to long to get up to 7gs....any advice? anyone in southern cali..we can go to runs and represent nissan...

------------------
[email protected] vtech

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i am no where near the track guru, but maybe i can help a fellow 619er. if you haven't read this write up, you should: Drag
of course, depending on your mods, different ways are better for certain rides. i launch ~3000 rpm and get a little chirp and then bye-bye!! there are a lot of smart people here who live @ the track, i'm sure they'd be willing to help.
right, guys?

------------------
stiletto

99 Sentra SEL platinum gold w/ HS headers and CAI, custom b-pipe, arospeed exhaust, magnecor 8.5mm wires, eibach pro-kit, courtesy nissan frt and rear STB, smc short shifter, greddy knob, jwt clutch, k&n crankcase breather, 17 deg. timing, EL indiglo HVAC, clear corners and taillights and not a single stock bulb.

·
Registered
765 Posts
well, launching on the track is way different from launching on the street. I've only had this car at the track once, and I got my best launch there slipping the clutch real quickly from 4000 RPMs, no spin, just a quick smooth take off.

On the streets, however, I can launch alot more aggressively. If my tires have a good amount of tread left on them, I will launch from 5-6K RPM and halfway drop the clutch than feather out the rest of the clutch to control the wheelspin and keep it from bogging. If my tires are almost bald (like they are now) I will drop the clutch from a lower RPM (3500-4000) RPM and it will pickup pretty quickly. If you are spinning the tires too much, modulate the gas to coax some traction out of it.

Good luck killin those VTECs

------------------
'95 200SX SE-R - Jim Wolf Clutch, K&N, CN Catback Exhaust, CN strut bars, KYB AGX, Eibach ProKit, audio
'99 Prelude base - CAI, Greddy SP
'02 TL Type S - Stock

[This message has been edited by PlanoSER (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
I am in no way an expert(best run to date: 16.4
) ... But I can tell you that on Atco my best launches were at or around 4-4.5k and slipping the clutch to control traction.

------------------
Greg Taylor
Black 96 200SX SE-R
More info on my car

·
Registered
909 Posts
I was launching at 4500 and still got the littlest bit of bog. That is with very little(none
) clutch slip.

------------------
MarC
93 NX2000
JWT POP charger
15.5 1/4 mile

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 92SE-R:
You're in San Diego? I can teach you how to launch. Email me at [email protected]
I can hook you up on a guy for parts and installations for anything.

Terrin
92 SE-R
</font>
ur email didnt work man , it sent it back too me... email me.. [email protected]

------------------
[email protected] vtec

·
Registered
723 Posts
i spin like hell on 3300+ rpm dumps.... and thats on old stock clutch... though i havent systematically tested for optimum launch...i think a slip @ 3500rpm would be good.

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
First let me say this... i have never been to the track but i have raced a guy on the street that put up a 15.3 at the track. I beat him both times on the street. He had a '94 se-r with wai and muffler

if i can make the correct calculations i should be running 15.2 assuming he lauched the same way at the track. anyway all this to say i drop at 3k and let them spin, funk modulation of the gas pedal just floor it and reach for the gears.

driven
O

------------------
4 door SE-R
Ultimate Sleeper
I love the CAI
I Got Money for a little more, suggestions needed
"heavy weight and still undisputed!"

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Well It all depends on what kind of tires you are running.
On street tires: I found it more appealing to just dump the clutch at 4300rpm. Make sure your tire pressure is low. I got my best time of [email protected] with a pop charger and a muffler with that launch.
On Slicks: I need to be taught how to launch because I was getting 2.14 60foot times and I was dropping the clutch at 6 grand. I dont know what the problem is with those times but the car launched me like a bat out of hell.
But good luck with your drag racing experiences.

Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R

·
Registered
765 Posts
good lord, 15.1 at 90mph with just a popcharger and muffler on a 97 SE-R? was the temperature outside like 30 degrees or something?

I have a 95 200SX SE-R with popcharger, CN catback exhaust, and JW clutch, with a 2.2 60ft I ran a 15.6 @ 87mph...
this was in TX with ~80 degrees and ~70% humidity

·
Registered
765 Posts
yeah I suck.. lets see I run consistent 2.2 60fts on street tires (with motor mounts that r currently broken) and i consistently spank your Sentra SE-R on the street.. i just suck! :-\

------------------
'95 200SX SE-R - Jim Wolf Clutch, K&N, CN Catback Exhaust, CN strut bars, KYB AGX, Eibach ProKit, audio
'02 TL Type S - Stock

·
Registered
756 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MarkSR20:
Well It all depends on what kind of tires you are running.
On street tires: I found it more appealing to just dump the clutch at 4300rpm. Make sure your tire pressure is low. I got my best time of [email protected] with a pop charger and a muffler with that launch.
On Slicks: I need to be taught how to launch because I was getting 2.14 60foot times and I was dropping the clutch at 6 grand. I dont know what the problem is with those times but the car launched me like a bat out of hell.
But good luck with your drag racing experiences.

Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R
</font>
Is the track that you and Jay race at downhill or something?

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteSER:
Is the track that you and Jay race at downhill or something?
</font>
Hahah nah, everyone knows they have Vipers push them.

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
I launch at 5,200-5,500 rpm, on Nitto drag radials at 15psi. Very minute slipping of the clutch is usually needed, just to keep from spinning too much.

Launching like that has netted 1.98 and 1.99 60-foot times for my Classic.

This is with NO burnout, btw.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, a proud customer of Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc., [email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
That was with my 96 200sx se-r. The car was basically bone stock. The temp's outside were around 65 degrees. I was pulling off 2.3 60ft times on street tires and then I went on slicks and actually had a lower mph but the same time. GO FIGURE. Jay preped the car all the way to the start and then I drove it. But the car pulled and I hope my blue 97 will be that promising. I got a 14.85 off last week but It should be a little lower. Good luck with your launches. Just take your foot out of it if your car starts to wheel hop!!!!!! Dont want to damage your car for a drag run.

Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R ([email protected])
96 SR20 SE-R ([email protected]) Sold!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
u must have a "ringer" or something coz those times are unreal for just a filter/muffler. Either way keep up the good work.

2.21 60ft
10.025 @ 69.3mph
15.61 @ 87 mph

damn i feel slow

------------------
'02 TL Type S - Stock

[This message has been edited by PlanoSER (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
It is a ringer!!! The badge on the back of mine says SR20 SE-R instead of 200sx!!! I dont know, thats about all that is ringin on my car. Jay taught me how to drive the car because I was always afraid of breaking something. But ever since then the car's have been goin. Just keep your foot down thats all.

Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R(smurf blue)
still wonderin how to post pictures???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts