SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
91 SER Richmond, VA
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Leaking Brake fluid I think?? (Found the leak!! Now what??)

Its been a problem for a while now, but its gotten really really bad lately. The brake light keeps comming on and my friend advised me to put in brake fluid. I do, and it comes back on w/in a week. Is this a brake fluid leak? He also said it might be b/c I have low calipers, but before I go and take off the wheels (its still cold here) I wanted to see if I could get some other options. If it is a brake fluid leak, where should I start to check?! Thanks guys!

-Mike

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Look at the calipers, and see if you're leaking fluid from them.

Any puddles under the car when it sits for a long (overnight) period of time?

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Are your brakes hard or do they feel like a sponge? If you have a leak, often air is introduced into the system. Like greg said, check for puddles. You didnt say if the brake fluid was low when you filled it up. Was it? Did the level go down? And by low calipers I assume you mean that the pads are worn down. Check that as well.

-Mike

·
91 SER Richmond, VA
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, I meant pads, sorry. I was half asleep posting that. And yes, the brake feels spongy when I press it. Ill try to check for puddles, but where I park is kinda on a hill and dirt so...Im not sure how well that will work. Its warm today, so I think ill pop the wheels off and see what I can find. Also, the brake fluid was below the min line when I filled it up this last time and when I filled it up before that, it was passed the max mark.

-Mike

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
all you got to do is follow the mc to the brake lines and look for rust, dot3 is hydrophobic meaning it'll attract water and rust almost over night.
my guess is your mc is leaking

·
91 SER Richmond, VA
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, Ill check that out too! Off I go!

-Mike

·
91 SER Richmond, VA
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I do believe i found the leak, seeing as the fluid was about to drip when I took the photo. The last one is a really weird angle, but its the best I could do. What do I have to do to replace/fix this??

Edit: You cant really see it that well, but its comming from the little round thing beside the screw in the second picture.

-Mike

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
I had the same problem, brake light kept coming on ever 2 days and the fluid level would be low, my master cylinder is leaking, turns out.

·
91 SER Richmond, VA
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the master cylinder, didnt seem to find anything out of the ordinary, but I also didn't take it all apart. I think this is the problem, but its such a small drip Im not sure.

-Mike

·
Registered
441 Posts
A small drip really flows when you hit the brakes.

I can't figure out what that picture is though is that the front or rear of the car?

sometimes brake fluid will leak from one area and drip down the brake lines to a totally different area. chck to see if it is actually coming from there, and if it is a fitting, try to tighten it up a bit.

--Eric

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I think its the rear brakes, but its hard to tell. I think I see the ebrake cable. Is it leaking from the brake hose? If its leaking at the banjo bolt or whatever it is, you might just need a new washer or to tighten it down. I had a small leak in the rear when I did my ss lines from not tightening it enough. If you need to replace the line, I have the stock se-r brake lines you can have for very very cheap. I will be in richmond on tuesday too.

-Mike

·
91 SER Richmond, VA
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its the rear passenger brake. Sorry, my digi cam sucks. Ill check to see where its leaking tomorrow (suns doing down now) and see if I can tighten anything.

-Mike

·
91 SER Richmond, VA
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nah, I didnt get to check it out today (fuel pump went in instead). Tomorrow I work, so itll be about another week or so. Ill keep ya updated as to whats happenin.

-Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts