SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that my cam seal on the side of the block is almost like "sweating" oil out from around it(very small amounts) Is this normal, or am I in for another big repair bill soon?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Those are part of the valve cover gasket, so you can either get a new valve cover gasket and use grey sealant, or just try the sealant to see if that fixes it.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yup mine are doing the exact same thing. Gota replace it before the convention. Thats my self imposed deadline for my fixes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are part of the Valve cover???? This is on the side of the engine block 1/2 way down-They're two round "covers" imbedded into the side of the motor. Do those need to be replaced at a certain mileage? BTW, how long before I have to replace the timimg belt? I have 104k....

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Part of the valve cover gasket. If the black things are leaking as mine are. Should be cause the round things below that are steel freeze plugs. The valve cover gasket does deteriorate after time and does need to be replaced. Mine is leaking like that also.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Are you sure? Because all that is behind those are water passages. Touch the bottom of the black half circles and see if they are oily. I bet the gasket is leaking and just flowing down the side of the head.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not leaking enough to flow out like that....That's the head?? It's down that far?? Jeez, I gotta get this OHV V-8 thoughts out of my head, I'm confusing myself

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
You can see how thick the head is by looking for the line where it joins. But oil can pool up in those freeze plugs even with ver little leaking. Mine sorta weeps like you said, and after a little while sitting it will pool up there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts