SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i could have sworn ive read about some of you guys having leaky flexpipe problems with your hotshot header. but when i called up hotshot, the lady told me i was the first shes ever heard of this problem happening to!

anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
415 Posts
lol, That lady is so full of **** it's not even funny. :rolleyes: I had a leaky flex pipe (brand new gen 4 header), now I have another new down-pipe which is also leaking from a flex-pipe weld, I believe. Talk to John over at Hotshot. He will send you out a new down-pipe for free.

mapball said:
i could have sworn ive read about some of you guys having leaky flexpipe problems with your hotshot header. but when i called up hotshot, the lady told me i was the first shes ever heard of this problem happening to!

anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Leaky header

Hi
As far as I know none of the hotshot flex pipes have ACTUALLY been leaky, or have had bad welds, but are simply noisy. Am I mistaken?
Has anyone actually had exhaust leaking out of a seam or an obvious missed weld?
If not, I'll gladly put up with the noise to HP ratio when I get my Gen 4 ( Backordered, of course).
The lady I spoke to at Hotshot was cool, professional and alot more knowledgeable than most male salespeople I've had to deal with.

Any news on the new AEBS 4-1 header? Are they still available?

later

TW

91 Classic
Nothin....YET

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
i know this is a litttle of the post topic but I have a Stillen 4-1 and i've been through 2 flex pipes. I have to admit that part of it is my fault. (car sit pretty low) A little scrapage...but yeah after awhile the fawkers start to leak. The original flex pipe lasted about 60,000 miles but this last one only lasted about 2,000. I noticed that ever since I started squeezing that the flex pipes are going out. Not a major leak but enough to notice a difference in the performance and sound of the car. Is it possible to just replace the flex pipe with a piece of straight pipe? the exhaust system sits on rubber hangers..wouldn't that give the exhaust system enough play to absorb the torquing of the motor? Just wondering?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: Leaky header

Yes, I have had exhaust leak out of a weld on the flex-pipe. A portion of the down-pipe and weld was completly black with exhaust. There was a nice gap where it leaked. It was a brand-new header and downpipe. Both flex-pipes I've had (the one that leaked, and the replacement) are very noisy. I've gotten used to it though. The performance gain is worth it, IMO.

Tailwhip said:
Hi
As far as I know none of the hotshot flex pipes have ACTUALLY been leaky, or have had bad welds, but are simply noisy. Am I mistaken?
Has anyone actually had exhaust leaking out of a seam or an obvious missed weld?
If not, I'll gladly put up with the noise to HP ratio when I get my Gen 4 ( Backordered, of course).
The lady I spoke to at Hotshot was cool, professional and alot more knowledgeable than most male salespeople I've had to deal with.

Any news on the new AEBS 4-1 header? Are they still available?

later

TW

91 Classic
Nothin....YET

N

·
0 Posts
Was there visibly anything wrong w/ the downpipe or flex-pipe before you installed it... poor weld, etc...?

·
8,148 Posts
Re: Re: Leaky header

Chris93SER said:
Yes, I have had exhaust leak out of a weld on the flex-pipe. A portion of the down-pipe and weld was completly black with exhaust. There was a nice gap where it leaked. It was a brand-new header and downpipe. Both flex-pipes I've had (the one that leaked, and the replacement) are very noisy. I've gotten used to it though. The performance gain is worth it, IMO.

Both flex pipes? Are you sure your motor mounts are good?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive had the leak ever since i first installed it. I didnt do anything about it cos i didnt know it was my flexpipe that was leaky. Now it has gotten lots worse. =(

That lady at hotshot i talked to was being a real bitch. She told me that they would take a look at it, but i would have to send it in and cover shipping charges. I told her that was messed up and they shouldnt be selling shitty flexpipes and expect me to pay for shipping. After much much debating she agreed to cover shipping ONLY if there was in fact a problem with the header, otherwise im stuck with the bill.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Leaky header

My motor mounts are good. The welding job on my first header and downpipe was obviously lacking, especially since the first header itself was missing a 1/4 inch piece of weld around one of the pipes. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the downpipe welding, so I only sent the header itself back. I installed the new header they sent me, and the first downpipe. Upon examination of the downpipe about a month after the install there was a leak at one of the welds. I had thought the buzzing sound I had ever since the install was completed may have been a result of that leak. However, it wasn't. The leak didn't create any noise, because the new downpipe Hotshot sent me makes the same noise, and doesn't appear to be leaking from the flex-pipe. Headers are a pain in the ass, but are worth the performance gain. I just talked to someone last night who is going through the exact same crap I went through with a header he bought for his car.

If all of that was confusing, here is what happened broken down better:

1st Header
Never installed
1/4 inch piece of weld missing around far-left pipe.

2nd Header
Installed
No issues

1st Downpipe
Installed
Noisy from day one
Leak detected at flexpipe weld one month after install.

2nd Downpipe
Installed
Same noise as 1st downpipe
No issues, besides a leak from secondaries gasket (easily fixed by re-torquing the bolts).

Pretty White said:
Both flex pipes? Are you sure your motor mounts are good?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts