SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had some monroe sensatrac struts put in the front then saw some fluid on floor a little bit. the mechanic told me it was that the axle popped out and then popped back in.is this bad? car runs great but needs an alignment now.do I have to put the fluid back. where's this fluid from? the tranny? will this pop out be bad for when I go to the track some day?

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
I would just check to see if the tranny is low on fluid. Just get a 3/8 ratchet with some leverage on it, and take out the fill nut. Add some in there until it comes out. It's not a big deal that the axle came out during the process of the mechanic's duties. It just pops back in. If the was a lot of fluid on the ground, definetally fill her up.

G

·
I replaced the struts on my 91 SE-R with Monroe units and am very pleased with them. Please note, when you go for alignment that the orginal factory units had no camber adjustment while the Monroe units do. I had to have the alignment repeated as the technician was unaware. His readout showed no adjustment oher than toe. Also note that there is a drain plug and a fill plug for the transmission.Probably a good time to replace the lubricant. I replace mine about every 20 to 30 K.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the alignment and then the car still pulled to the left again. today I noticed when the steering wheel is straight the right tire is straight but the left sticksout towards the left that's why she's pulling that way so tomorrow I'm going back to the mechanic to checkit out. that's what I get for letting a friend do the job in his shop for cheap. it's costing more every day. the monroe sensa tracks feel great though and are stiff when they need to be. last longer than the adjustable koni struts I had once and not as harsh for N.Y

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was the strut mounting plate. that's what he said and put both front ones for a whole 64 bucks! man this strut job was expensive let's see struts 115, labor 50 wheel alignment40 mounting plate install65 so 220 bucks and a head ache also taking a cab to work and no car on my day off priceless.
so remember it pays to get it right the first time by a reputable mechanic.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I recently had a similiar experience when I had my '92 SE-R aligned, the technician told me that there were no camber adjustments. The car still pulls to the right and also makes a clicking sound when I make turns. I was told that the drive axles are fine and that there is nothing more they can do for me. What is an SE-R owner to do?

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
News Flash!!! Your axles probably aren't going to be all right for long if they click. There isn't anything else besides maybe a wheel bearing that would click. Get it checked out ASAP. This may scare you a bit. I have heard of broken axles breaking on the highway and flipping the car. Think about it and treat your baby right. If you wait longer, it could be more expensive.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Did you say flipping a car? Good God, that ain't cool at all. Let me ask you this; would a technician normally check the wheel bearings during an alignment? I don't see it mentioned anywhere on my invoice. I've had the axles checked twice since April of last year and I keep getting the same story...and I'll tell ya what, I really don't believe them. Maybe they're just too lazy to do the job. But I will seek a second opinion on this...and probably a third as well. Thanks for the info!

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
It really all depends on where you go to get stuff done. If you want to do it yourself, you can just jack it up, not with a scissor jack. Grab the tire on the left and right, and wiggle it. YOu can do it up and down too, but thats mostly for ball joint. I would most honestly say it's the CV axle though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts