SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may or may not know, I'm in dire need of new brakes. After doing some research I've come to the conclusion I would like to upgrade over stock. The 5 lug conversion is not necessary in my eyes, so I think I would just like to upgrade with new rotors, calipers, and some quality pads.

My questions:
-Would the rotors off a S14 4 lug fit perfectly? I recall seeing info about the larger size rotor for this year. How much of an impact would that have on braking performance?
-Should I in turn use new calipers off an S14?
- Wheres the best place to buy brembo, or powerslot rotors?

Anyone with upgraded brakes, please chime in and give me some input on what your set up is, how it feels, etc... thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Have no idea if S14 brakes will work, but since you can swap to Z32 brakes on either an S13 or S14, I'd imagine they would. I doubt you'll find an answer though, since most will go straight for the Z brakes.

On that note, you can drill the Z rotors to a 4-bolt pattern. Any decent machine shop should be able to do it. This is what I'm planning eventually.

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience that the single biggest upgrade you can make to your brakes is to run better brake pad compounds. The good thing is that this is (usually) the cheapest way to upgrade as well.

Try some Carbotech Panther Plus pads on all four corners. They'll squeak a little bit under normal driving conditions, but hey...who cares about that anyways?

I will probably just go this route until I get around to upgrading my brakes.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so anyone know if the S14 rotors/calipers bolt right on?

·
Like it or Don't Like it
1,084 Posts
My dads 240sx is running 300zx (z32) brake upgrade cross slotted and I can tell you that thats the best upgrade we have got that brakes wonderfull compared to stock and no hesitation braking...the engine right now is pulling 400whp+ we have to make some more fine tunnings and tune the sds and take it to the dyno aiming for 500whp+.

If you have the money to go this way do it you wont be desapointed...only bad side its super expensive...$800-$900 range :s + s&h so its up to the pocket too...I haven't seen lot of s13's upgrading to s14's.

hope this helps.

Edrick

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool. 800-900 is pretty up there in price... thats why im leaning towards the S14 brakes. bigger rotor, not sure on the caliper yet....

*goes back to researching*

·
Registered
348 Posts
well since he said he doesnt wanna do 5-lug conversion Z32 is out since its 5 lug... the S14 fronts will work but not the rears. if you really want to get a good brake upgrade you can get some cool tech rotors, earl's ss brake lines, and Endless NA-R brake pads. I hit 419 on pump gas in my silvia so braking is uber important for me :p

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool tech rotors? that have a site? im familar with endless, and earls lines, but cool tech rotors, never heard of em.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think that if you pick up an import tuner one of the companies that advertises carries them. They run about 120dollars for the fronts and 78 for rears last time i checked. If you wanna go high dollar Endless makes replacement sized rotors but with uber nice compounds.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
i have the Fastbrake 2 piston 11" slotted and drilled kit on mine. they fit my wheels where the 300zx didn't. new/rebuilt calipers, new rotors, new pads. i think its the perect set of brakes for a s13.
shaun

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Nox240 said:
well since he said he doesnt wanna do 5-lug conversion Z32 is out since its 5 lug...
Untrue. The calipers still bolt right on and all you have to do is have the rotors redrilled to a 4-lug pattern.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Rittmeister said:
Untrue. The calipers still bolt right on and all you have to do is have the rotors redrilled to a 4-lug pattern.
yeah... you can do that...I guess its all a matter of preferance ehhe

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
as an update, ive decided to just get brembo blanks, new calipers, stainless brake lines, and metal master pads. should make for a solid brake set up for the street/ light track days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts