SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious...everyone has the fuel guage light that glows yellow when you're getting near empty, right? Mine goes off right at the "F" line, but I've noticed that when I fill the car up, I can only fit 11 or so Gallons into the tank(It holds 13 gal.)-What amount of Gas should be in the tank for that light to go on? Is it like 2 gal. or something?

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
Be glad yours comes on before you are empty!!! Mine comes on about the time I need to be turning in the gas station. Mine has come on twice BOTH times it toke 12.5 gallons, SCARY!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
From my experience, the gas gauges on Nissans are not that accurate. My old Sentra could run on E for like 100 miles, and when I would fill up the tank, I could still only put in about 10 gallons.
When my gas light comes on, I can usually put about 11-12 gallons in the car, so I'm guessing that the light comes on when you have about 2 gallons left.

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
Man, you guys are lucky you even havre a damn gas light.93 SE-R

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
Hmmmm, my bad. I finally saw it yesterday. Kinda poor design. Little orange dot.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey guys, I have the same problem with my '91, except I can only get about 8.5 gallons when I fill it. I found the problem on SE-R.net though. Chances are the remote sending unit is bad. Its a device in the gas tank that measures and sends the signal to the fuel gauge as to what the level is.
The link to the article is here:
www.se-r.net/car_info/problems/fuel_gauge.html

Hope this helps out. I plan on replacing mine in a few weeks. I will post my results.

Jason

·
Registered
222 Posts
Chris, dont know why the link didnt work. To check out the article, go to se-r.net, click "problems" under "car info" its in the list that comes up, near the bottom - "inaccurate fuel gauge".

Jason

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, Jason(the link didn't work,BTW)-I think I've finally figured out that the light goes on when there's about 2-2.5 gallons left. I surmised this from basically driving the gas all the way down till the light went on, and drove around gritting my teeth hoping I wouldn't run outta gas. When I finally couldn't stand the suspense anymore, I pulled into a gas station and filled up...I ended up putting in 11.5 gallons, and I had been driving around with the light on for 40 or so miles. So hopefully, that will solve that problem-I just have to remember that the guage is "pessimistic"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts