SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '91 NX2k in California with lots of mods, and there is not much more I can do to keep this thing (legally) on the road. I've heard that a lightened flywheel can really improve acceleration, but what does it do to general drivability? And what is the likely hood of engine damage?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had a Clutchmasters aluminium flywheel on my nx for about four years now. It has never effected drivability. There is virtually no negative effects in reguard to engine durability. Do not expect a night and day difference from a stock flywheel.

Matt

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by porboy44:
The flywheel has survived turbo duty as well.

Matt

</font>
Matt, since when are you on the forum? Holy cow! Hows that Turbo man?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I poke my nose in every now and then.
More so lately than before. The car is running just fine. It's no longer a daily driver. It's just too much of a pain to drive stop light to stop light with the ACT clutch. I have the HD pressure plate with the six puck disc. Holds the power just fine but just wasn't made for daily driving. Also I haven't been able to get a boost controller to work on the thing. I startred with a Blitz DSBC but couldn't get that to work, I gave up on it after seeing 28lbs of boost. I then went to a dual solenoid manual controller with no luck. Right now I adjust boost via the set screw on the wastegate and by changing springs in the wastegate.

Other then that the car is fine.

Matt

·
Registered
487 Posts
My light flywheel is one of the best mods I've done to my car. It takes about 1/2 hour to get used to the car again, but after that, all you notice is that the car is faster!

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel
14.545 @ 95.54 mph

·
Registered
292 Posts
hey..i was gonna have my dad machine down my se-r flywheel before i put it on the BB engine coming in...he was a machinist for like 20 yrs so im sure he'll do the job right..any pointers or info? ...this will work fine wont it?..thanks alot..

·
Registered
487 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YeloBlammo:
hey..i was gonna have my dad machine down my se-r flywheel before i put it on the BB engine coming in...he was a machinist for like 20 yrs so im sure he'll do the job right..any pointers or info? ...this will work fine wont it?..thanks alot..</font>
I saw a detailed diagram of a lightened flywheel in the archives awhile back. Apparently you can shave it down to 14lbs safely. That's not bad at all.

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel
14.545 @ 95.54 mph

1 - 11 of 11 Posts