SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well about 2 days ago the little grommet thingies that trip the brake lights decided to disintegrate leaving me with my brake lights stuck on. i decided to fix my burnt out tail light bulb in the process.

Now here is the kicker...today I was driving my car in a parking garage in school, i hit the brakes and all the dashlights come on as if I had turned on the headlamps!!:eek2: Tonight I jumped into my car to see if it was a fluke and with the car turned off in my driveway I hit the brakes and the damn lights came on as if I had put the parking lights on. It even made that annoying beeping sound when you leave the headlights on without the key in the ignition. When I took my foot off the brakes, the lights and noise turned off.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
could you prehaps in the process of fixing the tail lights shorted the gound circuit and made it hot??? sounds like a serious wiring hell issue

·
Technician @ Toyota
2,852 Posts
sounds like a short to power.... either in the switch or in the dash wiring.... time to do some voltage drop testing or take apart plastics to check for damages.

·
Nissan Technician
389 Posts
Id bet you put in the wrong tail light bulb. Ive seen this in a few xterra's. They get a bulb replaced at pep-boys or some **** and next thing you know the dome lights and dash lights come on when ever you put on the brakes. Took me forever to figure it out the first time, but those circuits all share a comon ground so the wrong bulb sends power through the ground circuit illuminating the other lights.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Outer is the dual one. On my SE the lights would light and my cruise control wouldn't work. She's all better now tho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts