SR20 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it mean when your e-brake and battery lights blink? Yesterday, I accidentaly left my lights on for most of the morning. This morning when I started the car to go to work, the e-brake and battery lights on the dashboard began blinking. I figured it might be my car's way of telling me I was an idiot for leaving the lights on for four hours and that my battery was on its last legs, but I got a new battery, and the lights still blink.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, this is my '91.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

[This message has been edited by slowSER (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">slowSER asked:
What does it mean when your e-brake and battery lights blink?</font>
I'm afraid James is right - your alternator isn't charging. FWIW, they're under $140 from Courtesy Nissan ($30 core).

------------------
'91 Classic w/the usual stuff

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss

·
Registered
729 Posts
Sorry to say but it deffinetly sounds like the Alt.

------------------
2k SE

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much time do I have before it's totally dead? 20-30 miles? Less?

------------------

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">slowSER asked:
How much time do I have before it's totally dead?</font>
The lights are on to indicate it's dead NOW. Basically, they're triggered when output from the alternator falls below 12v. The question you should be asking is how long will your battery last? Unless you want to be stranded somewhere, park the car and replace the alternator ASAP.

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grailer:
The lights are on to indicate it's dead NOW. Basically, they're triggered when output from the alternator falls below 12v. The question you should be asking is how long will your battery last? Unless you want to be stranded somewhere, park the car and replace the alternator ASAP.
</font>
Well, I have two good batteries now.
I was just wondering if the car would get me to the Nissan dealer to get an alternator and home to change (about 20 miles or so). Never had alternator issues with in 10+ years of vehicle ownership (5 different vehicles).

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SucKit:
Hey Pat the engine i sold you should have an altenator...just go down to your shop and get it.</font>
I called, and Chris M. said the alternator isn't in that great of shape. I would rather get a new one.

This is why I'm driving the '91 this week -- so hopefully these gremlins come about NOW instead of in two weeks at the SCCA drivers school.

------------------

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hahaha...20-30mi mine only lasted 5 mi but i had the heat on, defroster and headlight and ect on. SO drive in the daytime with no accesories not even the radio and definitely dont shut off your car til your where you want to be.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, the car made it from my office to the Nissan dealer (no alternators in stock but will be in tomorrow morning), back to my office, then home. Probably 30 miles or so, and drove with no accessories on. Went to go to the store, and the car barely started. Made it to the store and left the car running (quick-release steering wheel, hid it underneath floormat
) while I went inside.

My girlfriend is bringing the '93 down from where its been parked at her house, so I can get the alternator tomorrow. Oh yeah, then it's off to Richmond to look at a potential tow vehicle for the raSEcaR.

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel like an idiot. The lights on the dash were blinking because there was no tension on the alternator belt! The two bolts that hold the alternator bracket to the cyl. head were gone, and the alternator was just flapping in the breeze.

Luckily, I have a vast array of Nissan bolts, and I found two that fit perfectly. Started car up, no blinking lights.

I suspect that the shop that removed my AC didn't tighten the bolts well enough, and they slowly worked themselves loose.

Got a spare alternator though from Nissan, now. Probably won't return it since it may be good to keep that thing lying around (can return the alternator off the engine I just bought to cover the core charge). Having a spare alternator at the racetrack will mean that part will never fail.

------------------
'93 SE-R, for sale soon
'91 SE-R, future racecar
'00 Lightning, future SE-R puller

[This message has been edited by slowSER (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slowSER:
The lights on the dash were blinking because there was no tension on the alternator belt!</font>
Ah, you won't find a cheaper fix than that - glad it was something so minor.

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts