SR20 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some searching but all the threads talk about the ecu being in limp mode but do not tell how to get it out of limp mode. Tried disconnecting the battery overnight, didn't work. Tried resetting with snap on scanner still did not work. The car has not been running since I had the head re-done, after a bent valve. Checked everything like maf, tps, etc, everything checks out ok. I have been without my car for a while now and really need it back. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
If its in limp mode its there for a reason. Simply resseting the ECU wont fix it. What problems are you having exactly?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mpg9999 said:
If its in limp mode its there for a reason. Simply resseting the ECU wont fix it. What problems are you having exactly?
The car will start but not idle. If you give it any gas the car starts popping and sputtering. If you feather the gas you can sometimes get it to go past 3000 rpms, but if you give it to much gas it will just bounce between 2500 and 3000 rpms. When you let off the gas it will drop to 500-600 rpms if you give any gas then it just dies.

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
Obviously mpg9999 suggested the Correct approach.

Pull any codes. Anything that sets the ECU in limp mode ALWAUS sets an error code. Find it and you will know where to look.

Chris

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Throws no codes. That is what makes it so frustrating. The maf was replaced with a working unit, still didn't help.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Did this just suddenly start or was there something that led to this? I've seen a GA16 ecu used to run a SR20 once that did stuff like your describing.

Chris

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everything was good, Till I did cams and my tensioner took a crap and caused a bent valve. After head was re-done and everything was reassembled is when all this started happening. Could my ecu have crapped out on me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Timing chain

Yes, I did it initially then the garage I took it to did also realign the timing marks to make sure it was correct. Anything else that could be causing this to happen?

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Did you resurface the head? I cant really see it causing the problems your having, but when you take material off the head it messes up the cam timing and you have to adjust it with cam gears.

-Mike

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I wouldnt think so, but it did start having problems when this happened. Do you know how much was taken off? Maybe the messed something up. I wonder if a combination of a compression check and vacum readings would help...? Worth a shot if you have the equipment.

-Mike

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
Red200Se-R said:
sounds like a maf problem to me. what year are these vehicles?
me? trust me, my car has no MAF problems. It is all in the ECU, I am just trying one last time to fix my POS JWT ecu before I spend the hunderd bucks sending it back to JWT.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just seems as though if the car dose not want to rev above 3k, it usuall has something to do with the MAF. Why would you have to spend the 100 to send it back if there is a problem with it? Does JWT offer a warrenty?

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
Red200Se-R said:
Just seems as though if the car dose not want to rev above 3k, it usuall has something to do with the MAF. Why would you have to spend the 100 to send it back if there is a problem with it? Does JWT offer a warrenty?
I know its the ECU because if I swap it out for a stock one it runs just fine, I have been on a stock ecu with emanage for a while now.

I guess JWT does not warrenty their ECUs, because Ben told me that it could need to be reflashed or have the doughterboard swapped into a new ecu, and that either one of those things would cost a hundred bucks.

When I hook up the JWT, it runs like ass and will not rev over 3k of course, and I get a CEL, but I can not even get it to go into diagnostic mode for some reason. Piece of **** computer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have done some searching but all the threads talk about the ecu being in limp mode but do not tell how to get it out of limp mode. Tried disconnecting the battery overnight, didn't work. Tried resetting with snap on scanner still did not work. The car has not been running since I had the head re-done, after a bent valve. Checked everything like maf, tps, etc, everything checks out ok. I have been without my car for a while now and really need it back. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jamie
Bro did you ever solve this problem? I'm having this same issue on my sr18 de.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts