SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant seem to line up the motor mount to the transmission/engine on my B14. I just replaced the clutch, and have the tranny bolted to the engine, and to all the other motor mounts. The only bolts Im missing are for the starter cuz i havent put that back on yet, and the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the firewall motor mount onto the tranny/engine. I have prothane motor mounts if that helps.
Should I unbolt the crossmember to do this, and then bolt it back up? Im lost and its really starting to piss me off.

is there a certain order to put motor mounts on?? Ill go searching now, but I think I read that somewhere.

TIA
Nate

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
That one can be tough to get in. Try jacking up the engine a little and see if you can get it to move around some and line it up.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
let me elaborate....i removed the transmission without removing the crossmember. I left that mount connected to the crossmember. Now I have the tranny back on, but there are 5 bolts, 2 right next to each other that go through the engine, and 3 that go through the motor mount into the transmission.

One of the bolts that are right next to each other goes through the motor mount as well, it like reaches up there next to the engine. I just cant seem to get any of those holes for that mount to line up. I did get one of those 2 bolts next to each other in, but its the one that doesnt go through the mount.

hopefully thats not too confusing -

·
Registered
420 Posts
had the exact same problem... put a jack under the transmission and lift it up a bit, it will make some of the holes line up... just keep moving it up and down slightly to get all the holes to line up.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUESTION -
The 2 bolts under the starter that are right next to each other, well one is right above the other, which one holds the motor mount? upper one or lower one? i forgot when i took it apart

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread... much. But, Jonathon, how in the world were you able to get at those 4 bolts on the crossmember? I tried it that way and couldn't get anything to fit in there and still be able to manipulate a ratchet.

Nate, how do you like the prothane mounts and what did you have before them? How do they feel/perform? I'm asking because I'm thinking of doing away with my ES inserts and either pouring my own or going with the prothane.

I used and extra jack and a long phillips screwdriver to help align the holes. Once you can slide the screwdriver in and out without resistance, just put the bolts in and tighten. It took me a long time to get the alignment right, but I did get it done.

Peace Out,
Mark

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the stock mounts before the prothanes. They are really great at making the car seem like its once piece. no movement whatsoever from the tranny/engine, but it does have crazy ass vibration, especially at idle. It felt like I had better traction when i put them on as well as little to no wheel hop

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NuttyNate said:
QUESTION -
The 2 bolts under the starter that are right next to each other, well one is right above the other, which one holds the motor mount? upper one or lower one? i forgot when i took it apart
anyone have the answer to this?

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Nate, I don't remember seeing this when I put the crossmember back on, sorry. There was only one place the bolt was going to go, lining it up was a pain. I wonder if the B14's are that much different than the B13's(which is what I have). I can see where you'd be edgy to try it... use the wrong hole and strip the threads on the bolt:(.

Peace,
Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts