SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Sr20's Get u Laid
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well well the time has finally come and ive got my job back and im bout to graduate and i cant bear any longer not to have boost.......Im dying for it really bad. So ive did months of research and this is what im looking to get....Im hoping the sr20 family will help me out with my exciting build. What could a 18 yr old want more???:biggthump

--------------------
Basically right now i have a 97 200sx se-r with 140,000 on the body and the motor is a nice p11 sr20de with around 85 k on it. Shes my dd and ill put around 65 miles a day. My goal is simple. Looking to have a fairly basic set-up with around 200hp on stock boost. (for now). I really want something realible and dont have to run into problems all the time.......i take care of my car really well so that wont be a problem.....My boy brian u12bbdreamer was telling me to get a compression test on the motor to see if its up to snuff.....Ive never had a problem with the motor due to the fact i baby it and do all the basic maintence things u could think of.......Since ill be buying the parts paycheck to paycheck or every week, ill be doing it gradually and not all at once......My budget at the max is 1500.... I had thought about doing the bb swap but i did some seaching and i could get the motor for around 1300 but i would need other things aswell so i decided hey well i got a rather new sr20de so ill just boost this.....So heres my list of what i got from my reaserch......Feel free to comment and give any advice......I look to have it up and running by beginning of aug........So its a summer project

List of parts i felt needed...........i will be doing alot of shopping on the classifed cuz dam theere are some good deals on parts. I need to stay as cheap as possible....Dont need the best right now.That will come with time;)

1. t25 turbo
2. BB manifold
3. 370cc injectors
4. 3in downpipe
5. act heavy duty pp with street disk - (any suggestions for my application)
6.Some kinda intercooler(ebay has em cheap)
7. intercooler piping (any suggestions, again ebay has a whole kit for 90)???
8. Safc neo
9. BOV (id really like greddy type s)
10....If not neo, i need a calum or jwt but cant go over 300

If theres anything on the list that i absoulty need, please tell me (ex.. oil feed lines, ect)

Heres what id like -

jwt ecu - dont have cash for it thats why i opted for neo...I can get it for 200....Its got 16point fuel correction
Greddy type s - I could just weld this on to the intake pipe right???

now if i went t3/t4 i would get the protect mani and i seen em very cheap and it has a external wastegate opening so i can run a tial 38mm......Is this needed for my set-up.......Would u need a wastegate for the t25 alone.........

I know its alot to read but what better source than here.......Please bare with me
Like i said if i dont need something on that list to get me going, please let me know (ex -frp, fuel pump)

So is it better and cheaper to go t25????

Tyrell

·
agent camel toe
9,396 Posts
well well the time has finally come and ive got my job back and im bout to graduate and i cant bear any longer not to have boost.......Im dying for it really bad. So ive did months of research and this is what im looking to get....Im hoping the sr20 family will help me out with my exciting build. What could a 18 yr old want more???:biggthump

--------------------
Basically right now i have a 97 200sx se-r with 140,000 on the body and the motor is a nice p11 sr20de with around 85 k on it. Shes my dd and ill put around 65 miles a day. My goal is simple. Looking to have a fairly basic set-up with around 200hp on stock boost. (for now). I really want something realible and dont have to run into problems all the time.......i take care of my car really well so that wont be a problem.....My boy brian u12bbdreamer was telling me to get a compression test on the motor to see if its up to snuff.....Ive never had a problem with the motor due to the fact i baby it and do all the basic maintence things u could think of.......Since ill be buying the parts paycheck to paycheck or every week, ill be doing it gradually and not all at once......My budget at the max is 1500.... I had thought about doing the bb swap but i did some seaching and i could get the motor for around 1300 but i would need other things aswell so i decided hey well i got a rather new sr20de so ill just boost this.....So heres my list of what i got from my reaserch......Feel free to comment and give any advice......I look to have it up and running by beginning of aug........So its a summer project

List of parts i felt needed...........i will be doing alot of shopping on the classifed cuz dam theere are some good deals on parts. I need to stay as cheap as possible....Dont need the best right now.That will come with time;)

Havent decided weater imma go stock t25 or t3/t4..........If i did t3/t4 id get the log mani

1. t25 turbo
2. BB manifold
3. 370cc injectors
4. 3in downpipe
5. act heavy duty pp with street disk - (any suggestions for my application)
6.Some kinda intercooler(ebay has em cheap)
7. intercooler piping (any suggestions, again ebay has a whole kit for 90)???
8. Safc neo
9. BOV (id really like greddy type s)
10 walbro fuel pump
11. Nismo adj fuel pressure regulator

If theres anything on the list that i absoulty need, please tell me (ex.. oil feed lines, ect)

Heres what id like -

jwt ecu - dont have cash for it thats why i opted for neo...I can get it for 200....Its got 16point fuel correction
Greddy type s - I could just weld this on to the intake pipe right???

now if i went t3/t4 i would get the protect mani and i seen em very cheap and it has a external wastegate opening so i can run a tial 38mm......Is this needed for my set-up.......Would u need a wastegate for the t25 alone.........

I know its alot to read but what better source than here.......Please bare with me

So is it better and cheaper to go t25????

Tyrell

for that budget..t25 with jwt ecu should do the trick..i would def comp test the motor first and go from their

·
Sr20's Get u Laid
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would go jwt but thats kinda out of my budget..........I was told an safc should be fine for now until i upgrade later

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Calumsult... #1 ECU on the market and he's a forum vendor, go to the bottom of the page on the main forum and u will see what he has to offer. I run it in my car and I will soon be running one in my daily driver as well.

Sounds like a nice project.

·
agent camel toe
9,396 Posts
i would go jwt but thats kinda out of my budget..........I was told an safc should be fine for now until i upgrade later
the main adv of the jwt is that is plug and play:tongue:

·
Sr20's Get u Laid
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yea but i will go ove my budget with that............the neo is just to get me started so that i can compensate for the larger injectors............beilve me if my pocket allowed me i would go with calum.........met him in person......awesome guy and product...........so with that said will the neo get my started until i can upgrade......i know i can run stock ecu with this set=up.......

·
Rebuilding
3,916 Posts
you dont NEED a adjustable FPR or a 255 fuel pump you can run stock fuel pump, i am on my turbo set up, im going basic kind of like Swiss did, then upgrade later exactly like what he did. Go with either a JWT ecu or Calum. Dont get a safc. Just go with a U12 or W10 or something just a T25 setup with 370cc, etc.

·
Sr20's Get u Laid
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well if i can get a calum or jwt for under 300 ill all ears or i will have to settle for the safc to get me by which i heard will work.......List updated.........Anything else i essential need or dont need????

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Cheap, reliable, quick. Pick any 2. :rolleyes:

·
Sr20's Get u Laid
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i talked to calum and his for for like 350 somehing and a new jwt is like 500????? am i wrong..........right now i have a p11 ecu

·
Sr20's Get u Laid
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so could some1 brief me on the diff of the t3/t4 to t25...........which one would be better for street use........i love the way t3/t4 pull but i love the way a t25 has quick spool............

·
Me likes Big Ol Booties!
1,160 Posts
Depends on what you want. They are apples and oranges. You are all over the place. You want to save money, but you want this and that. Decide on what you want first. If you want to keep it simple and cheap, go with the t25 (all around cheaper). Cheaper manifold as well, MUCH cheaper.

First question, is this your only car?

·
Sr20's Get u Laid
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
yes.........its my only car.........but i plan to have the car down for a couple days to get it running right.............i was thinking of putting the parts on gradually as i go like starting with new clutch, 370's, neo, then doing the turbo stuff all together. Like i said b4 im just getting into boost and not looking for anything outragous.......Ive seen with t25 and some things i have on my list im good for over 200hp and thats plenty for me........I need it all to be relieable to i dont have problems every month ya know...........im just looking for the simplest set-up to get my going then ill upgrade later

·
Me likes Big Ol Booties!
1,160 Posts
Only car, I'd choose t25. Even a t28 or variation of any T2 flanged turbo.

Ditch the idea of the SAFC NEO, get the Calum ecu (what I wish I knew about when my car was first turbo'd) like many have already suggested.

Buy all the parts, then start installing. Hell, ur in FL, where the majority of the SR20 guys are.

The reason many people say the Calum ecu is simple...reliability and future upgrades. In a few months, or when you get more money, YOU ARE GONNA WANT TO UPGRADE. It's that simple. The SAFC, you basically throw money away because ur limited. Plus ur supporting the Nissan family and they, in turn, will support you.

·
Sr20's Get u Laid
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so i know calum has several kind of ecus and chips........for my exact t25 set-up and my list, which one would i need........Im seen one for 375 and another for 100..........i need to give him a call..........Like i said if i can get either or i will.......I love the results of calums ecu............I just need something fairly cheap and user friendly.............thanks

I found a bb mani for 50..........yay

·
Cherry Destroyer
543 Posts
than just wait a little longer and get the jwt or calum ecu??

·
JDM BOOST WHORE
3,772 Posts
if your on a budget id sell you my old tmic setup minus the pancake pipe piece. way cheaper then going fmic figure 200 piping and 100 for a fmic. good luck with your swap

·
NX2K Driver!
448 Posts
YEahhhhhh. when do plan on getting her done? time frame? your car is already fast as hell butt hole! I have a basic calum with the u12 map on it. easy and cheap but rich as poopy I need to tune it.... or real time... might go that way but i wont know how to tune it :|

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
For this being your only car, with your setup, I see you taking the bus soon after building it. The most important part of the build, is the ECU, and you want to go cheap on it and use the stock ECU with a SAFC. Calum offers a non realtime ECU, for cheaper than the SAFC. To "tune" the SAFC correct, you would need a dyno and a wideband. Those together would be the same cost as the realtime ECU. Do it right once, or do it wrong several times. Have fun with that.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts