SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...of turbo "power"!

I don't think this is a repost but if so please ignore.

I was reading Sport Compact Car and ran across this:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/0311scc_tcavalier/index.html

I can't believe that with a 2.2L and a T28 they are putting down sub 200HP numbers! Our cars make more power and torque with a T25 or possibly the "straw" turbo, which is where you attach a bunch of straws together and have your passenger blow in it while you are driving! Our cars almost run that quarter mile time bone stock and they are happy with that after turbo!

Keep trying Chevy!

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Don't forget, the Cavalier is gone as well. GM is replacing it with the new global Delta platform. It is called the Cobalt. So this is a pipe dream of Chevy's that won't make it to production ever!

And, as you had referred to, it's slow as hell!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just can't wait for the Cobalt! Yeah right!

I love working for a supplier for all the major U.S. car companies and some foreign ones so I get to know what is coming out in 2006-2007!

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
What a pile of crap, a T28 and only 182hp, blah!

Brent

·
"Keep firing, Assholes!"
796 Posts
that's pretty terrible, i read that a few months ago and was pretty disappointed. it's nice to see some competition, but this is clearly not it

·
Registered
470 Posts
what a waste of a perfectly good turbo...that writer makes it sounds like its special or something. i wonder what it would make with a t25? 150, 160hp?

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Here's why it's slow:

A) low boost. Just 8 psi. And that 180-something was whp, not crank, so it'd be about 225 hp at the crank. That's more than a BB DET, almost as much as a gti-r. Not bad. Most stock boosted domestics don't hope for more than 100hp/liter at the crank anyway, but boost could probably reliably be turned up to 10 easy.
B) 2900 pounds. 400 pounds more than my classic.
C) no lsd.
D) 19" rims.

If they'd turn up the boost, trim some fat, get an lsd and some 16" rims, it might run mid-low 14s. Still, funny that after all that work (and assload of money) it's still slightly slower 0-60 than a bone-stock b13 se-r. Dumbasses! If Chevy ever sold it it would probably cost $25K and be slower than a Spec V with i/h/e (don't even think about putting it up against an SRT-4!).

·
boosting
1,454 Posts
yea, you guys are forgetting that this is with a small restrictive exhaust, low boost, etc. not that much off of what a det would make in stock form

·
BOOSTIN AIN'T EASY!
656 Posts
2.5" exhaust is not that restrictive with that much WHP. MY car with 7.5 psi of boost and boost leaks all over put down 209 whp and thats with 2.25" crush bent exhaust (t28)

Richard Casillas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts