SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My '93 made the cover of the Southern West Virginia SCCA regional newsletter/magazine this month. I *never* get a pic of my SE-R in anything, usually because I'm the one that always shoots the pictures at autocrosses here.

However...our newsletter editor wanted to use my high-falutin' digital camera last week. Look what happened.

The results of the autocross were pretty good: I placed 14th overall out of an even 50 cars/drivers. Won Street Mod overall. Was the fastest street-tired car. AND now, I get my pic on the cover.

Not a bad day ;)

·
Registered
727 Posts
AT A BOY GREG! WOOHOO!!!!!!! :D

Kickin Ass! Just think how hard it would have been for him to get that shot had you been sportin the TURBO!!! ;)

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maxximtl;

Thanks for the kind words. My '15 minutes of fame'? Hahaha. I don't know about that. SWVR isn't THAT big a SCCA region.

John;

Sporting a turbo on that course wouldn't have helped much. Maybe a tiny bit. It had some really technical sections that my crappy suspension (okay, the struts) shouldn't have taken as well as they did. There WAS one long straight on the backside, where a turbo would've come in handy.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thats frigin cool Greg. Next event you may have to pull me up there for a little virgin road racing! HAHA! I got the drags down, now want to try the corners! MUAHAHA!

So have you decided on what setup, NOS or Turbo, you are going with on your 93?

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, if nobody buys my NOS setup, then it looks like I *might* be BOTH turbo AND nitrous, come springtime. :D :D :D :D :D

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Ryan. BTW...do I detect some sarcasm in your profile line of 'JUN cams suck'??? Tell me more...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
you are my IDOL!!!
Congrats man!!!!!
Thats a really nice pic!!!
You got any newsletters you can send me?
I would love to sport that pic on my desk at work!!
SERprise!!!!!!
hootie hooo!!!!

KEEP RIDIN'

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Laughing Gas

Hey Greg you ever get to use your laughing gas while Auto-Xing?
I know most courses don't have enough straights to actually use it.

Darren

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Darren;

Under SCCA rules, nitrous oxide is NOT allowed while autocrossing.

So...I do it NA, stock cams, stock head, etc. The car works very well in NA form, IMHO.

Don't know why I'm stickin' a turbo on it. Oh well ;)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Very Nice, look for my car in Sports Car in a few months under the Solo Event of the Month Section.

Art Rinner

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Art;

You found the board again, I see. I was just thinking last night about what happened to you. Figured the url change got ya.

Good job getting into Sports Car! If I ever hit the regional/national trail, I'd like to get my pic in there some day.

·
Registered
708 Posts
SERprise In WV said:
Art;

You found the board again, I see. I was just thinking last night about what happened to you. Figured the url change got ya.

Good job getting into Sports Car! If I ever hit the regional/national trail, I'd like to get my pic in there some day.
Well it's just because we had a two day event at buttonwillow with STS being the featured class. And since I almost won (2nd) with a almost stock SE-R is the only reason I will get in. But I still have some lobbying to do!

Yes the URL change did get me! Great pic of your car, not sure I would stand in front of you to take a picture. What kind of camera do you have?

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Art;

Due to being a magazine photographer in my 'former' life, and the owner of a small publishing company now, I am fortunate enough to own a Nikon D-1 digital camera. The two photos of my car above (cover and my sig pic) were both shot with that, using a 300mm f/2.8 lens. On the D-1, that lens is converted to a 450mm, very long.

Our newsletter editor is an avid photographer, and I turned the camera over to him to use while I made my runs. I set it to follow-autofocus anything that entered the frame, basically. He did an excellent job of it. I did the Photoshop work on the cover pic.

Luckily, my company bought the camera. I just get to use it for, um, personal reasons. Yeah, that's it. ;)

-GP-

·
Registered
708 Posts
I envious! Makes my little 1.3 feel inadequate! lol :D
How much does a setup like that cost? I am also very interested in photography especially race photography, so maybe I will need to save up my pennies, so I can afford mods and a camera!

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Art;

We paid <gulp> $4,700 for the D-1 body last year. Now, you can find them used for about $2,800-3,000 on the market.

A 300/2.8 lens is about another $5,800 new, or $2,800 used.

So...$11,000 new, or about $6,000 used, give or take a few $. Expensive, I know, but well worth it if you use it enough to justify the cost. We were spending about $3,000 on film and processing a year, so it more than justified the cost. After the 2nd year, the camera body pays for itself.

-GP-

·
Registered
727 Posts
So...$11,000 new, or about $6,000 used

polaroid baby!

J/K Greg ,that is another SE-R with MAJOR mods!

·
Registered
708 Posts
SERprise In WV said:
Art;

We paid <gulp> $4,700 for the D-1 body last year. Now, you can find them used for about $2,800-3,000 on the market.

A 300/2.8 lens is about another $5,800 new, or $2,800 used.

So...$11,000 new, or about $6,000 used, give or take a few $. Expensive, I know, but well worth it if you use it enough to justify the cost. We were spending about $3,000 on film and processing a year, so it more than justified the cost. After the 2nd year, the camera body pays for itself.

-GP-

I guess I'll need to save a lot!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts