SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what thought's everyone had on a T-28. I heard they come on the sunny GTI-R. I was hoping to get a used kit off of that. I want a little less than 300 hp with a few things done to it. Obviously it cant be done stock but I can try!!!! If anyone knows how to obtain this can you pass on the info. Thank you very much.

Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
The T28 is basically a T25 turbine with an A/R of .86 and a T3 compressor with an A/R of .60 It's a very good turbo for mild boost levels; 13-15 psi. You can push it harder, but don't expect to last as long; you gotta remember that it's still a T25 turbine, which is pretty small. The plus side is that boost will come on fairly quickly. I would call it an excellent daily driver turbo; better than the T25 IMHO. But, if you plan on running more than say 12 psi, you'll need to upgrade your MAF and injectors; I wouldn't push either past 10 psi. 300hp is no easy task on a daily driven SE-R. If you don't do your homework, stuff can start blowing up rather quickly. If you're new to the turbo thing I would reccomend you do some reading and get an understanding of what you plan to do. For internet, the list archives and DSM pages have pretty good stuff. For books, Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Have fun!!

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just to clarify, the T28's off the older SR's had a 62 trim T25 turbine with .64 A/R. The compressor was a 60 trim T3 in a T04B housing. The more recent T28's had an identical turbine with a 63 trim compressor. If you set your car up right it can be squeezed to about 300-320hp at 1 bar. No point blowing anymore as the tradeoff in ignition timing will rob more power than the boost will give. If you hunt o/s for the turbo try to get the one off a japanese motor or off any S15 silvia, they have the ball bearing cores.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IMOA:
Just to clarify, the T28's off the older SR's had a 62 trim T25 turbine with .64 A/R. The compressor was a 60 trim T3 in a T04B housing. The more recent T28's had an identical turbine with a 63 trim compressor. </font>
But you're talking about the S14 T28, right? Either that, or the specs you're giving are really close: S14: 60 trim 60mm BCI-1 compressor in T-04B housing, 62 trim 53.8mm T25 turbine .64 A/R turbine housing w/BB center section. And the S15 is the same with the exception of using a Inco turbine wheel (instead of GMR), and a cast divider wall between turbine discharge and wastegate. Now, the GTi-R specs I have are: 60 trim 60mm BCI-1 compressor in standard T-3 housing, 79 trim 53.8mm Inco T-250 turbine wheel .86 A/R housing and journal bearings. Now, a good thing to do would be to get something like the GTi-R T28 and ditch the T-3 compressor housing in favor of the S14 T-04B housing. This can support 16 psi and probably 280+ hp (according to Rob Cadle). I would stick with this simply because the S-14 T-28 has the smaller turbine (same as T25 from BB and S13 DET) as opposed to the bigger GTi-R unit.

------------------
David

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looking at my stuff ...... yep, you're right, apologies for that. Personally I think the straight S14 (or S15) unit from a JDM silvia (export models weren't BB) would be better than the GTiR unit. The have no problems holding 15psi and will spool quicker than the GTiR turbo. They are rated at 280hp and depending on setup you should be able to get a bit over 300 out of them. The S15 turbos will be good for another 10hp or so.

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is great information guys, thank you very much. There is just one problem, where do I get the stuff??? If you can help me on that, then this whole post will be very helpful to my smurf blue monster!!!! Thank you again and have a good weekend.

Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R( Papa smurf blue)

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
That's sorta where the problem is. It's sorta hard to come across T28s. I think there's one for sale on the SE-R.net classifieds, but I'm not sure. I'm not to sure when it comes to Sylivia turbos, but this has been my experience when it comes to GTi-R turbos. You might wanna also check with Andreas Miko. He seems to have a pretty steady flow of JDM Nissan parts....

------------------
David

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
You might try Majesticturbo in Waco Tx. There web site is MajesticTurbo.com. 800-231-5566.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Unfortunately I can't help you with getting one, down this end of the world they are very commen and go for about US250, I've usually got one lying around the house actually. Do you guys have any importers which bring second hand performance parts in from japan? They should have a few

·
_______
3,640 Posts
So witch t28 turbo is the best? GTI-R,S15 or the S14? I'm in contact with a guy who gets parts from Japan and I want to up my turbo. I was looking for the ones with the BB center section.

Thanks
Mike

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Mike!!!! Where've you been guy??!?!?!?! If I had to choose, I'd go GTi-R. But, since you want the BB center section, either of the Sylvia ones will work. But, if you can, try the combination I gave above. That should get you pretty good results.

------------------
David

·
_______
3,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nsracer:
Mike!!!! Where've you been guy??!?!?!?! If I had to choose, I'd go GTi-R. But, since you want the BB center section, either of the Sylvia ones will work.</font>
I'm here! Divorces suck and take up alot of your time

Anyway here's my plan.. I'm getting a GTI-R manifold and a S14 T28 turbo. Then I'm going to pull a Ray K on it. Now what exactly would I need to do that? You need the T04B housing but what else do you need? Do you have to change the turbine also? I'm not a guru on turbo specks but I would like something that spools fairly fast(one reason for the bb center section) and can huff anough air to give me in the area of 18psi for the ocasional drag strip run. I would also like to be able to run 14-16 psi daily on the street. Comments on that?

TIA,
Mike

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
What about the Garrett GT series turbos? From choaderboy:

". I would recomend something like Ray Kawski's
set up. Basicaly this is a GTI-R turbo with a TO4B
compressor housing.

Even better is a HKS GT 2835. Garrett will have a
very nice offering in their aftermarket parts catalog
soon if you can wait.

You will have to change to a GTI-R manifold as the
Bluebird manifold does not allow much clearance for
the compressor housing."

As I understand it the GT series turbos are newer in design and have "space age" materials or something to make them more efficient. What do ya'll think of that GT2835 as opposed to a T28 with T04B
(compressor?) housing?

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO and crashed 93 NX2000

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm a big fan of the new GT series turbos, I should be bolting one up pretty soon actually.

The big thing to remember is that you don't have to buy them off HKS, you can get them direct from garrett or from places like <A HREF="http://www.turbofast.com.au/">Ray Hall</A>. HKS turbos are nice but they are about twice the price they should be. An equivalent to a HKS GT2835 will go for about US$1050 from Ray Hall.

The big difference between the new GT turbos and the older T3/T4 designs is really in the wheels and housings. They do have ball bearing centres and all that kind of stuff which people seem to look for but they real advantage is in their design. They flow much better and spool much quicker than the older designs. To put it simply, a T04 is a sixties design while a GT is a 90's model. Comparing the two turbos you've mentioned, the GT turbo will spool as quick or a touch quicker and have an extra 100-150hp at the top end. Easy win to the GT if you're asking me.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about that Mike. Divorces suck!!
Glad to see you're back with us, though.

Now, about that turbo.. The S14 T28 is a good turbo, but the you still have a tiny T25 turbine. This turbo will spool up nice and probably support ~260 whp. Of course you can extract more power with more boost, but then things can start breaking. This turbo already comes with the T04B compressor housing. The GTi-R turbo is the one you'd wanna change the housing on. With the GTi-R combo, 16 psi daily is definitely do-able and occasional 18 psi blasts would work too. This turbo can definitely support 280+ whp. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a BB center section. Now, the turbo Ben mentioned (HKS GT 2835) is a very nice turbo that should be able to produce some good power. But, it's pretty pricey. What are your power goals, and how tolerant to lag are you?

------------------
David

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Ok lets get this straight. The S14 turbo has the t04b compressor housing and a BB center section with the t25 exhaust turbine(rite?). The GTI-R is a t28 turbo also and It has the t25 exhaust turbine with a smaller t3 compressor housing. Woulden't I be better off with the S14 turbo? Or.. Dose the GTI-R turbo have a diffrent exhaust Turbine wheel that flows better?

Mike

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Ben,
About the GT series turbos.. Remember I said I'm getting divorced... hehe That is kind of out of my budget at the moment. Now with the JDM turbo's I can get them for the price of shipping. See where I'm going here..

Mike

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Gosselin:
Ok lets get this straight. The S14 turbo has the t04b compressor housing and a BB center section with the t25 exhaust turbine(rite?). The GTI-R is a t28 turbo also and It has the t25 exhaust turbine with a smaller t3 compressor housing. Woulden't I be better off with the S14 turbo? Or.. Dose the GTI-R turbo have a diffrent exhaust Turbine wheel that flows better?</font>
The S14 turbo has a 62 trim 53.8mm T25 turbine in a .64 A/R turbine housing. The GTi-R turbo has a 79 trim 53.8mm Inco T-250 turbine wheel in a .86 A/R housing. So basically, the GTi-R turbo can make a bit more power, but is restricted by the small compressor housing that can easily be replaced with the S14 T28's compressor housing, thus allowing for better potential with the GTi-R turbo because you're no longer limited by the small exhaust side.

------------------
David

·
_______
3,640 Posts
So the exhaust housing on the GTI-R turbo is actually bigger? Can you get the same effect buy swapping the GTI-R exhaust turbine wheel to the S14 turbo and maybe porting it out? or is that not an option?

BTW Thanks for putting up with my million questions.

Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts