SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to build a motor. Just talking about a bottom end. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what parts they use or they would use. I am looking to run 400whp or around that area. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
Mark we have had great results with the following. Keep in mind DET rods hold very well. So if you are looking to build a motor on a budget I would suggest some DET rods with some 300xz TT pistions. You get a little more displacement and it will hold 400 whp easily. Also we have used DET rods with some nice JE/Wiseco pistions.

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SE-Rican said:
Mark we have had great results with the following. Keep in mind DET rods hold very well. So if you are looking to build a motor on a budget I would suggest some DET rods with some 300xz TT pistions. You get a little more displacement and it will hold 400 whp easily. Also we have used DET rods with some nice JE/Wiseco pistions.
I have heard that the DET Rods do not hold up very well. I am glad to hear that they do. I am looking to do some Wiseco or JE pistons with this setup. Is there an aftermarket Rod company that you recommend or just the stock DET rods? Thanks again Rob and I will be leaving for Florida on friday in my classic. The smurf needs a little more attention than I thought(as you can tell by the title of the post). Thanks and have a good one!

·
The Super Mechanic
645 Posts
Eagle rods
wiseco pistons
arp bolts
Cheap way

Pauter rods or Crower
Cp pistons or Je
arp bolts
Expensive way

Any set up will blow up you just have to have good tunning and a good machine shop put these parts in.

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
SE-Rican: do you have a shop or something?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
97SE-R C2 said:
I think All of Florida is like 1 big shop. I wish I lived there. :(
It's really not, that's the funny thing. It's just that people in FL know what they want, how to get it, and then we, in turn spread the love to the other...less..fortunate states. :tongue: :eek:

Mark! I can't believe you aren't bringing the B14, but I understand, at least bring your slicks for me (User, :points to self: )!

Justin

·
easy 400WHP
12,682 Posts
GTi-R main and rod bearings
ARP hardware (main, head, and rod)
Arias (JWT) 87mm Pistons-swain treatment(top & sides)
Z32 stock rings
GTi-R rods- cryo'ed
DET Piston Oil squirters
Cryoed and micropolished crank

Thats my bottom end thats being built....only thing I would change on that is Eagle rods, but I think the GTiR ones will hold....

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sucks but all this means is that when it is up and running I will come back down to Florida with it. I will try and get the slicks to fit in the car so you can use them.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will be figuring out prices and what not before I do anything. I definitly am tired of blowing motors up. I am not skimping out this time.

Crono1321 said:
It's really not, that's the funny thing. It's just that people in FL know what they want, how to get it, and then we, in turn spread the love to the other...less..fortunate states. :tongue: :eek:

Mark! I can't believe you aren't bringing the B14, but I understand, at least bring your slicks for me (User, :points to self: )!

Justin

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
MarkSR20 said:
It sucks but all this means is that when it is up and running I will come back down to Florida with it. I will try and get the slicks to fit in the car so you can use them.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will be figuring out prices and what not before I do anything. I definitly am tired of blowing motors up. I am not skimping out this time.
YAY! Mark> Me.

Justin

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
when building a bottom end, chosing parts is easy. there are many companies making parts and there are many different combination you can go with. but one thing to keep in mind is that when youre building a bottom end, that replacing parts with stronger ones doesnt make the motor any more powerful, but only stronger. now image if your motor had 160hp and after a rebuild came out with 210 all motor. what im tryin to get at is that replacing parts isnt a built motor, its just been rebuilt. know if a motor comes out with more horespower with the same mods after a rebuild. then thats a built motor. just something to think about.

·
Registered
369 Posts
MarkSR20 said:
I am looking to build a motor. Just talking about a bottom end. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what parts they use or they would use. I am looking to run 400whp or around that area. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hi. :D

What a difference 2 weeks makes eh? For everyones information, I'm sponsoring Marks car via my shop/dealership. (That's a whole other announcement and I don't want to be rude and spam. Gotta get a banner up on this site)

Basically I'm stripping Marks car down to the skivvies and rebuilding it from the bottom up. As people have pointed out, building a motor properly is more than pointing at brand names and ordering. Choosing the proper parts for the application and matching them to one another is how you build a car that can make crazy power with great reliability. (With a proper tune of course). You can take parts that are great individually and match them up to find they are a very wrong set up when combined. I.E. Rod vs. piston weight etc.

I have an over active mind and spend more time than I should reengineering fine details in my head. This means I've got a lot of ideas that have been kicking around in my mind and I'm taking a little different approach in building his motor.

Marks goal is 11.99 and factory reliability.

My goal is Mark's minus about 1.5 seconds. :)

Pictures and such will be up as the buildup proceeds. I would like to build the fastest/quickest REAL street SE-R in the country. I'm not going to make any predictions or claims now simply because in my experience that not a good thing to do. lol

Mark, give me a jingle when you get a minute. We are leaving for Orlando on the 20th till 3-1 so lets hook up and hang out a bit. I would like to meet a lot of the FL guys as well. :)

Oh and a couple people have asked and yes that is me in Marks sig pic. :)

Jay Hassinger
Häss Autoworks

·
master of nothing
2,231 Posts
mark do a search on wiesco here a lot of people have ring land failure.Get je or aries and sum eagle rods

1 - 13 of 13 Posts