SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 296 Posts

·
it is what it is!
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
9-2-09 EDIT: heres the jist of this thread. i got bored and made this slideshow. i learned alot building this motor. read on for the whole 3 year story, my struggles and victories. click the pic for the slideshow...or just turn the page :)

holy crap, my motor threw up!!!

sorry for the junk cell phone pics...it's all i had at my disposal.
i got a spare highport from Fred a few weeks ago and the story
begins.......

·
it is what it is!
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

heres a shot of my girl. the sr20 in her has +175k and still runs strong! i will be driving her as she sits untill my new motor is done. she is still sleeping for the winter season.....but not for much longer:D

edit: make that 188k....gees and i drove her through this winter. looong awaited is taking too long!!!!
3-16-08 edit...make that 197k!!! time to wrap things up..read on!!!

·
it is what it is!
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exact setup? i'm not "exactly" sure yet. it will be based around a t28 ball bearing turbo though. i've already got a fidanza flywheel(thanx fred).....that's it so far. i plan on s4's, 2pc ur pullies, FMIC, 50lb or 370cc(still trying to figure out the difference), external wastegate, BOV, ecu-undecided, 255walbro, p+p, some low comp pistons, and an assortment of other goodies.....right now my focus is on rebuilding the motor. dipped, honing, port+polish, new bearings, valves, stuff like that. then on to the goods. when it's done and she's running, i'll let you know what the exact setup is:biggthump

·
it is what it is!
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
http://www.nissantuners.com/showthread.php?t=154968

just a quick kinda update. link to machine shop progress. i will mate the two threads eventually somehow. pics of motor soon to come. as soon as i get it back:D

^^most of that stuff remains the same, except it'll be the gt28rs, and 444's, my buddy has talked me into a sequential BOV, ecu still undecided.

·
it is what it is!
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heres some pics of some of the goods, just picked them up today. straight outta cali from GregV.....thanx meng!

uh oh....what do we have here?

pistons, rings, main/rod bearings, oil pan........main cap bolts on thier way!!!

up close and personal....8.5:1

now we're talking!!! lets get this ball rollin!

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
93specv said:
exact setup? i'm not "exactly" sure yet. it will be based around a t28 ball bearing turbo though. i've already got a fidanza flywheel(thanx fred).....that's it so far. i plan on s4's, 2pc ur pullies, FMIC, 50lb or 370cc(still trying to figure out the difference), external wastegate, BOV, ecu-undecided, 255walbro, p+p, some low comp pistons, and an assortment of other goodies.....right now my focus is on rebuilding the motor. dipped, honing, port+polish, new bearings, valves, stuff like that. then on to the goods. when it's done and she's running, i'll let you know what the exact setup is:biggthump
please do NOT go with 370s, they are too small for any turbo other than a t25, and only that if run at 4 bar.

I think you should go with 555cc at 4 bar. 2871R and a GTIR manifold would be nice, but how much power are you shooting for?

·
it is what it is!
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no no.....yes i agree. post #6 says how i changed my mind to 444's, although i have been thinking about 555's lately. i am not going to to crazy, looking for somewhere around 300whp.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
93specv said:
no no.....yes i agree. post #6 says how i changed my mind to 444's, although i have been thinking about 555's lately. i am not going to to crazy, looking for somewhere around 300whp.
damn, thats a lot of work for 300whp, low compression and all. It will be a solid motor if its done properly though, nice and fresh.

I would not build any turbo car and use smaller injectors than 555, personally. The 555 side feeds will fit in your stock rail, if the 444s are topfeed you will need a new rail, FPR, ect.

·
it is what it is!
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm, good info on the injector tip....thanx Will.
reliable and solid is what i am going for.......and power ofcourse :)
i am also leaving room for improvement....that is to say if i someday "upgrade" to a larger turbo, the proper steps will have already been taken to support it.

the only thing i am starting to doubt is reusing the de rods. does anyone think that is a bad idea?

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Looking good bro!

Keep it up. Cant wait to see how this turns out in the end.

If your looking to have an extra margin for later upgrades, ever consider the 7XX (forget exact numbers) side feed Nismos IIRC?

·
it is what it is!
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well guys....figured id update.

havent been too busy really. but getting motivated. just picked up some plastigauge and that sumbitch is going back together. enough waiting around!

work has just got me real occupied with time or should i say sleep. she will be boostin by spring/summer though!!! latest by july, thats my birthmonth and i'll be dammed if im gonna fix what needs fixin for inspection when the new motor will fix it all............

·
Registered
857 Posts
headgasket? I'm sorry you have everything else but I don't see that. Might as well get a cometic while you have the engine open.

1 - 20 of 296 Posts