SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Course was a regular road circuit with cones in the straights to slow ya down. I lost to a Celica GTS my 69.300 to his 69.241 third place was a BMW with 69.420. Close racing in STS! Now to gripe about local type events. I get to talking to two guys staged next to me in civic hatches, Both were running swaps! One with a B16 the other had a B20. I asked them what they were doing in STS. They said well we don't have race tires so we don't want to run in SM. Next to them is a NA 300zx 2 seater with a striped interior running in STS. It was too swee to beat the hatches by 5 seconds plus and beat the 300 by 9 seconds. Just proves its more driver than car.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I asked them what they were
doing in STS. They said well we don't have race tires so we don't want to run in SM. Next to
them is a NA 300zx 2 seater with a striped interior running in STS</font>
I woulda hit the f#$kin' roof. No way that **** flys in STS. Race tires or not. I wouldn't care if they have 500 treadwear Unirocks.

Similar story: Another club in NC is historically lax in their enforcement of rules. Once I saw a 510, lowered, stripped, 7" wheels, fender flares, race seat, etc., etc. H-stock. Needless to say, it won.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soupaflie:
Now to gripe about local type events. I get to talking to two guys staged next to me in civic hatches, Both were running swaps! One with a B16 the other had a B20. I asked them what they were doing in STS. They said well we don't have race tires so we don't want to run in SM. Next to them is a NA 300zx 2 seater with a striped interior running in STS. It was too swee to beat the hatches by 5 seconds plus and beat the 300 by 9 seconds. Just proves its more driver than car.</font>
Heh... Kind of reminds me of a certain S14 240SX out here that ran in E-Stock, beat one of my competitors (a good thing) and we realized he had a front STB and a POP. Of course my fellow competitor protested his ass, and his scores got moved over to STS and marked as WRG.

Now the stupid part about your situation is that 300ZX. 300ZX's aren't eligible for Street Touring, PERIOD! That I find even more stupid than the hybrid Honda's as those would be legal in Street Touring if it weren't for the engine swaps and other mods.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
In my local region, we have a class called Open Street. You can do anything you want and all cars are legal but you have to run street tires. There is a seperate class for FWD and RWD. My usual competition was a turbo'd Civic EX and a Type R.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
There's a class locally called "Street Tire", which is calculated from a base class.. perhaps they were confused as to what class they were really in? Of course, you beat them anyway so props to ya but you might want to talk to some officials next time you're out there.

Oh and Andrew, you still headed for a trophy in ES/N?

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scarpa:
Oh and Andrew, you still headed for a trophy in ES/N?</font>
Yup... Took 2nd place overall. Lost by about 50 points (2290 vs. 2240). Had the SCCA ran 20 events as originally planned vs. 18, I most likely would have overtaken the guy who took 1st. Oh well... Didn't compete in enough events... That's my excuse. Will be competing it STS for the Winter Slush series starting the end of this month. Must beat those 2.5RS's and Integra GS-R's!!!

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a class locally called "Street Tire", which is calculated from a base class.. perhaps they were confused as to what class they were really in? Of course, you beat them anyway so props to ya but you might want to talk to some officials next time you're out there.

Oh and Andrew, you still headed for a trophy in ES/N?

</font>
If they had been close to the front I would have said something. Also, I wasn't the only one in STS that new about the hatches several others heard them telling me about it. It won't fly next time. I am tired of this crap.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm going to run STS in the slush series too, but as a novice. I ran STS up in Sacramento and they really weren't all that fast imo. Maybe I was just having a good day. Hopefully the competition is tougher in SFR.</font>
Actually, I think the competition between Sac and SF is somewhat similar, but the competition seems much tighter in SF. Eric West ('93 Civic Si), who runs in the Sac Cup events, is unbelieveably fast, and he could beat out anyone running STS in SF. I think you should just go ahead and run STS with me... You'll pretty much kill ST-Novice given the experience you already have going to some of the NASA events. Heck, I was beating some of the ST-Novice guys in an E-Stock car!

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

[This message has been edited by RollcageSR20 (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Awwww I wanted to be badass. Maybe I should just run the open class, it would be much better for me in the long run, I'll learn more. I was a second off of West at the last event I ran, and that was on those bald tires. I must say I wasn't all that impressed but I shouldn't let it go to my head. Although I certainly expect to be faster with ES bushings, new brakes and GCs in the first event of the Slush Series.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Awwww I wanted to be badass. Maybe I should just run the open class, it would be much better for me in the long run, I'll learn more. I was a second off of West at the last event I ran, and that was on those bald tires. I must say I wasn't all that impressed but I shouldn't let it go to my head.
</font>
Oh just admit it... You're fast! Eric West is one of the faster STS guys out here. He ran a few events in SF and won all three. The fact that you were only a second off of him says something more than just "having a good day". Though something else can be said since most of your seat time has been on concrete, as well as for Eric, and Mather Air Field is mostly concrete surface. Well, all of the Winter Slush series events will be on asphalt; something I'm more accustomed to... MUAAHAHAHA!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Although I certainly expect to be faster with ES bushings, new brakes and GCs in the first event of the Slush Series.
</font>
Oooh... scary! I'd hope to have my new suspension and the HS header and JWT ECU in by then, too!

--Andrew Phan

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm going to run STS in the slush series too, but as a novice. I ran STS up in Sacramento and they really weren't all that fast imo. Maybe I was just having a good day. Hopefully the competition is tougher in SFR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts