SR20 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attempted to a custom exhaust with a CN 2.5 Catback and a Thermal Muffler no tip (looks pretty good IMO). The sucker droans like no other at 70 on up. It's embarassing with passangers. It has back fired a few times and it pops sometimes under normal driving. How can I fix this? I don't really want to get rid of the muffler as in was a gift and they wouldn't be to happy if I took it off. I was thinking about a cutting a section of the pipe out and putting in a 2.25 pre-silencer of some sort. To increase backpressure and cut down on the noise.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Toddles82 said:
I attempted to a custom exhaust with a CN 2.5 Catback and a Thermal Muffler no tip (looks pretty good IMO). The sucker droans like no other at 70 on up. It's embarassing with passangers. It has back fired a few times and it pops sometimes under normal driving. How can I fix this? I don't really want to get rid of the muffler as in was a gift and they wouldn't be to happy if I took it off. I was thinking about a cutting a section of the pipe out and putting in a 2.25 pre-silencer of some sort. To increase backpressure and cut down on the noise.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
You might want to try adding a resonated exhaust tip. It should help quiet down the exhaust as well as reduce the backfire noise.

--Andrew Phan

·
Registered
858 Posts
yup thrush makes one that fits right after the cat before the first bend. like 25 bucks and helped me out alot. just dont get the louvered kind. make sure it has holes inside instead of louvers. just cut and weld.muffler shop charged me 20 bucks to do this for me.

·
o0 ( []D [] []V[] []D )0o
483 Posts
Toddles82 said:
The sucker droans like no other at 70 on up. It's embarassing with passangers. It has back fired a few times and it pops sometimes under normal driving. How can I fix this?
Yeah get that resonator placed in before the muffler like DaGenesis said. It will quite the muffler down a lot, you should not have to worry to much about lossing gains. At least you can drive with a nice sound Vs the loud embarassing , let the cops know when I'm 20 miles away sound.

Good Luck. Let us know how your muffler and all that is doing. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hate that loud noise

I had to play my radio loud just so I can hear the music. I started getting a headache from the loudness of the exhaust I had the same setup as yours when I had my 1.6L sentra minus the cat. solved the noise problem by putting a resonator and putting a smaller exhaust tip ( had a big 4.5in exhaust tip) the noise cut down by half. It did get a little loud when I stepped on it but when driveing normal the sound was good had alot of compliments on the sound.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I attempted to a custom exhaust with a CN 2.5 Catback and a Thermal Muffler no tip (looks pretty good IMO).
The no-tip might be your problem. You have to get the exhaust exit past your rear bumper. Trust me, I had a Courtesy B-pipe with Ultra-Flo and I had no tip at first. The muffler exit was before the inside lip of the bumper. It was sometimes loud. I put a tip on that extended past the bumper and it was MUCH quieter. I used a resonated tip but I am not sure if the resonated part helped out very much. It's up to you what kind of tip to get, but have it welded on, not clamped or screwed.

·
o0 ( []D [] []V[] []D )0o
483 Posts
Yeah i think your right man, I did not even pick on the NO TIP.
And yeah you should get one welded on to the muffler.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah get the exhaust tip welded

There are alot of ghetto people out there that want to mod there car but can't afford it so they go stealing everyones sh*t. When I bought my car it had a R emblem where the Nissan was (glad they stole it) jut goes to show how hard up people are now I have to buy a new Nissan emblem.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
You should be able to hook up a resonator from your local meinekee for like 40 bucks or so including installation. That should yield you a 2.25" resonator. ITs straight through, so it offers no restriction whatsoever. It simply is designed to quiet down the exaust note a bit. The note will sound cleaner afterward as well.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The courtesy B-pipe comes with a resonator. It is not very long and does not have a lot of sound-absorbing material, but it is present.

A longer resonator in place of the current one would help, but I still think you should add a tip first.

If you want a different resonator, I suggest one of these 4" round (if you are brave, try a 6" round but the fit will be tight and I have never tried it).

http://www.magnaflow.com/03cat-back/03ss/03stainlesssteelround.htm

http://www.magnaflow.com/03cat-back/03aluminized/03aluminizedround.htm

These will be more expensive than the $40 listed above. So it's your choice, again.

·
Don't call it a comeback
1,146 Posts
The correct term for a no-louvred glass pack resonator is "perforated core" if that heps. They sell them at any pep boys or wherever, just cut 'n weld. Hope it might help, Ian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts