SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an Autometer Sport-Comp electrical oil pressure gauge. I have a t-fitting so I can use both Autometer's sender and the stock sender. I get about 12.5 psi (or whatever that tick mark is b/w 0 and 25) at startup (sometimes it'll go to about 25 and stay there for 20-30 secs), but the rest of the time, the needle stays planted at 12.5 psi. Revving the engine while sitting in neutral will cause some movement of the needle, but not much. I have a few other clues regarding my oil problem.

- I get "heavy" valve clatter...well, I think it's heavy, it's louder and a little longer than other SR20s I've heard at startup.
- I've been checking my oil immediately after a drive and I notice clusters of air bubbles on the dipstick.
- My Mobil 1 changes from its nice amber color to a dark, ugly brown color within 1000-1200 miles after an oil change.

I'm going to drop the lower oil pan and clean it and check the strainer and baffle plate and make sure everything looks good. Later on this week, I'm also hooking up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and following the procedure in the FSM to check oil pressure.

I have no funny noises (yet), and the motor seems to run fine. But, I really feel something is seriously wrong with this engine. Any tips, comments, anything that can help me figure out the problem will be greatly appreciated.

Antonio Garcia

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Just for reference, I have an electrical oil pressure gauge also, and at start-up, I have around 50psi, then as the engine warms up, it drops to 25 psi, then it drops to the mark between 0 and 25psi. Driving around, the gauge shows ~60psi at 3000 rpm.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
mine is the same as eric's. i have taken out the original sender, and only use the one that came with the autometer gauge, try doing that, it might give you an inaccurate reading if you use the T connector, thats why they send you a sender just for the gauge.

------------------
Serban Gavrilescu
91 Black Metallic SE-R
146.5hp & 131.6lb-ft torque

Serban's SE-R Page

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I have the OE sender on a T fitting.

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, gang, I pulled the VC and check out my precious S3s. They have visible lines on the lobes. The don't pass the fingernail test as you can feel the roughness on them. But, they're not TOO bad though. Still useable, but just a little excessively worn for how many miles they have.

Tomorrow is drop the oil pan day. I'm going to clean it out and make sure the baffle plate and strainer are nice and clean. Hopefully, this is the source of my problems. I really don't want to deal with the oil pump as its behind the front cover!
I'll just get a DET if that's the case. If so, some stuff maybe for sale...

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
a slow [email protected] on JWT 50 shot
Bay Area, CA

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, today I'm gonna pull the valve cover and check out the cams. I'm also going to replace the cam oiling tubes with some extras that I have. If I really have low oil pressure, then my cams should start wearing pretty badly, and that'll be a good sign if things are really going bad.

I'll keep you all posted.

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
a slow [email protected] on JWT 50 shot
Bay Area, CA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts