SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
SR20JET POWERED!!!
1,819 Posts
thers a guy here in cincinnati that has a fc with a built ls1, i cant see your pic so i dont know if it is him

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
why do people ruin cars like these? they're famous for their rotary engines, thats what makes them cool. why be a redneck and swap in a v8? i was a nopi nationals last september and saw a early 90s lamborghini with a ford v8 in it :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LS1 (5.7) motor = 460.9 lbs, Manual, with oil and flywheel and all accesories

According to this site http://www.iluvmyrx7.com/3rdge...0.jpg the 13b twin turbo weighs in at 320 kg, 1kg=2.2 lbs, equaling at 704lbs. take away the weight from Powerplant frame - 22.3 lbs. Driveshaft - 14 lbs. Exhaust system - 89.7 lbs. The motor with tranny, accessories and flywheel comes out to 578 lbs.

The LS1 comes out lighter still, remember its made of aluminum while the 13b is made from cast iron.

·
the proof wizard
3,573 Posts
intiractive said:
why do people ruin cars like these? they're famous for their rotary engines, thats what makes them cool. why be a redneck and swap in a v8? i was a nopi nationals last september and saw a early 90s lamborghini with a ford v8 in it :(
i agree, i dont care how much power it makes, the engine doesnt belong in there :squint:

ive seen an fc with a small block chevy in it. i wanted to throw up.... :eek2:

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
I think it's cool. A guy by me has one. I love an American V8, just don't like the cars. Perfect fix to that problem.

·
stirring but plain-faced
993 Posts
In the next year or so I am going to try and find a nice clean FC to do the LS1 into. I dont know why you guys think its so wrong to swap a V8 into one of these. It is a great chassis but the motors are just too fragile. Why not swap something in that will make just as much power,weigh less, and last much longer.

·
Registered
264 Posts
maybe because the true beauty of the RX series of cars is their rotary engine? Yes, an american V8 makes more power and is lighter, however, if you want to just go for raw numbers in terms of performance, why not just get a Focus or a Miata and drop a V8 into one of them? Or maybe make a go kart?

The mazda rotaries look good, but more importantly their unique compared to every other car out there just because they rock the Wankel

·
Vroom
85 Posts
I'd imagine that the LS1 while lighter than the 13B, completely changes the handling characteristicsof the RX-7, one advantage of the rotary is its low center of gravity. No doubt, the LS1 has far more power potential than the rotary, but I've just never been a fan of cross-engine swaps. In my opinion the challenge of making a rotary powerful would be more fun than just droping in a V8 and calling it a day.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
I don't think the weight difference and balance issue is that huge of a deal unless its a track only car where ultimate handling is more important than ultimate power. I think having a v8 powered rx-7 street car would kick ass.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
We just finished building one locally. Why do it? Easy answer:

Perfect chassis with a (damn near) perfect engine. Doesn't break at only 400hp, and will flat-out accelerate with supercar-like numbers. It also turns and brakes very well.

Great car. IMHO.

·
8,148 Posts
There was a guy in Florida I think who was in Turbo a few years back putting Grand National motors into RX7's.

So 302's in Volvos is not good now?

I know someone with a 88 Supra with a LS1 motor!

Hell, a buddy of mine "Doc" has a 240SX with a 300ZX TT motor. The same motor everyone says will not work. BS! :rofl:

·
8,148 Posts
P10SR20DE said:
use to have 13b, street ported, SP-74 single turbo setup, but the LS1 swap just kills his old setup.

:biggthump :biggthump :biggthump

all i can say is wow

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
3rd gen rx-7 with a LS6/7 swap is my DREAM car. If you do the research, you'll find out that it keeps almost the exact same weight distribution/corner weights. You can get 450whp RELIABLY with the swap, the 3rd gen chassis is one of the best made for handling, it's a great match! You'll also have a superior torque curve compared to a boosted 13b making the same power. Even better, you'll get better gas mileage and have better emissions! how can you lose?

·
i love b13's !
8,012 Posts
bah at a v8 in a rx7, its just not right plain and simple. if you really need more power like i said put in a 20b and turbo it. yeah three rotors all reving to 9k on boost !!! take that v8 !

·
8,148 Posts
STRATTON said:
bah at a v8 in a rx7, its just not right plain and simple. if you really need more power like i said put in a 20b and turbo it. yeah three rotors all reving to 9k on boost !!! take that v8 !
3 rotors? I feel sorry for that Apex seal! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts