SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I am thinking about buying a 98 200SX SE-R to go along w/ my 91 SE-R, but I am troubled by the 98's lack of a LSD. I live near Cleveland, so snow is an issue, and having a LSD makes a HUGE difference. My question is this: How hard is it to add a LSD to a car? Any ideas? Thanks.

Samir

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pjsammy:

Hey there,

I am thinking about buying a 98 200SX SE-R to go along w/ my 91 SE-R, but I am troubled by the 98's lack of a LSD. I live near Cleveland, so snow is an issue, and having a LSD makes a HUGE difference. My question is this: How hard is it to add a LSD to a car? Any ideas? Thanks.

Samir
</font>
You'll need the entire transmission along with axles off of a '91-'97 SR20. Unfortunately, a VLSD cannot be added to the non-VLSD tranny on the '98-'99 SR20, unless you're willing to try.

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
1993 NX2000

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Sounds like that idea will just stay as an idea. Thanks for the info.
</font>
It's not that big of a deal -- find a used LSD-equipped tranny and you're set. Remanufactured axles are pretty cheap, too (around $75 ea.). It's probably less labor intensive (i.e., cheaper) to install a new transmission than it is to take apart an existing tranny and install a limited slip.

Last year, I bought a used transmission when 5th gear went out in my car. The transmission was around $200, labor was $500-$600 I think.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

·
Registered
146 Posts
hey Samir i have a '93 white ser for sale check out the classified posting...i am from chicago but could possibly meet you somewhere in Indiana if you wanted to check car out. the '93 has some nice improvements over the '91-'92 model yet still retains the better cams and the high port head.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts

Hey there,

Samir
</font>
Samir,

I also have a 98. It is not that hard to get a used 95-97 tranny. They are a dime a dozen. YOU WILL ONLY NEED THE DRIVER SIDE AXLE SHAFT. When i broke my tranny last week we had to drop the broken one and remove the shafts. THE PASSANGER SIDE SHAFTS OF THE 98 SE-R AND SE ARE THE SAME LENGTH AS THE 95-97 SE-R. So you do not have to change them. Just get a used tranny and a driver side shaft. Go to this GREAT GREAT site www.car-parts.com and you will find what you are looking for.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to buy a 95-97, but I happened to see a '98 w/ 29K miles at a dealership, and I can get a good deal on it (based on Kelley Blue Book prices). I was just curious. Most likely this won't happen, but I figured I'd ask you guys and do all my research ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

I'd like to buy a 95-97, but I happened to see a '98 w/ 29K miles at a dealership, and I can get a good deal on it (based on Kelley Blue Book prices). I was just curious. Most likely this won't happen, but I figured I'd ask you guys and do all my research ahead of time.
</font>
Next time, do your own research dammit!
(I am serious!) That's what www.se-r.net and the SE-R mailing list archives (currently down) are for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts