SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the MAF work and last ok if it is mounted horizontally?

By horizontally I mean the air will flow vertically upwards throught it.

I'm pretty sure it will work ok, just unsure whether the hotwire is strong enough to last in the horizontal position.

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
i don't know the answer to this question but every maf that i've seen/installed has to be put in a certain direction, so my guess would be no.

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
T4 Primera said:
Will the MAF work and last ok if it is mounted horizontally?

By horizontally I mean the air will flow vertically upwards throught it.

I'm pretty sure it will work ok, just unsure whether the hotwire is strong enough to last in the horizontal position.
It'll work, but don't expect any noticeable gains.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work. There's nothing in the MAF to make its operation orientation dependent. It's just a hotwire.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
yeah. I dont see why not.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
I've had mine in several different clock positions with no problems whatsoever. Just make sure there's some slack in the wires, that they're not strained, and you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
figgy your car looks ridiculously crazy every time i see it dude. kickass.....also you can mount it anyway you feel

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I've seen MAF set ups in various "positions" so i dont see why it would be a problem.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Was just concerned whether the mechanical strength of the hotwire is good enough in that position.

I'm not expecting a gain by moving the MAF alone. I want to try a custom CAI and being able to mount the MAF that way allows me to put it right at the end rather than in the middle the pipe - for resonance purposes.

That way I can also use the bellmouth from the stock filter box, with a little modification, as an adapter to the filter.

This would also eliminate one of the bends between TB and MAF.

Thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts