SR20 Forum banner

MAF senser reground

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  kpw97 
#1 ·
can someone post the procedure for the reground on the MAF..TIA

#2 ·
I did this myself and its really simple with the se-r.net writeup. from what i remember.... remove the little rubber boot where the wires come out. then take a voltmeter and put one lead in the middle wire (there are three wires) and the other lead to a good engine ground. voltage should be under 9mv. if it is not then use a connector and some wire and run a new wire into the connector from one of the engine grounds. simple stuff, really .

http://www.se-r.net/engine/maf_ground.html

#4 ·
SE-Rican said:
What exactly does regrounding your MAF do fo the peformance of our cars?
After I had mine regrounded, the car ran a lot smoother, throttle response was a lot better too.

You need to check the voltage on the maf, I think if its over 9mv, then you need to reground it. Mine was at 15, after regrounding it, it dropped down to around 2mv.

#6 ·
Yes it is mostly only older cars. Nissan changed the wiring harness I think in 1994 to prevent this from happening again.

Though my 1991 240SX had to have this done too (from the dealer) and it is not typical for that model to have this problem.

#8 ·
Ok guys, I got really confused by this write up, it says to check the voltage on the center wire and a body ground, then it says to run a wire from a good ground to the center wire, but isn't this putting a positive to a negative?? :confused: :confused: :confused: I'm very confused....please help..

~Ryan

#12 ·
what you are actually measuring with the volt meter is the voltage drop of the ground circuit for th MAF. If the voltage drop is to high, the ecm gets an incorrect reading for the MAF. Grounding it elsewhere clears up this problem.

#13 ·
dgerryts said:
what you are actually measuring with the volt meter is the voltage drop of the ground circuit for th MAF. If the voltage drop is to high, the ecm gets an incorrect reading for the MAF. Grounding it elsewhere clears up this problem.

So wouldn't an OHM meter work better to test this?

~Ryan:confused: :confused:

#14 ·
a voltage drop test is much easier and alot more sensitive than an ohm meter. The second thing is that the voltage reading should be taken when the engine is running, you can't do this with an ohm meter.

#15 ·
dgerryts said:
a voltage drop test is much easier and alot more sensitive than an ohm meter. The second thing is that the voltage reading should be taken when the engine is running, you can't do this with an ohm meter.

Thanks for you help, I'll probably do this tommroow when I'm working on my car...

~Ryan

#16 ·
I just did this today. Initially checking the mV drop was a reading of 16.2mV!! After I spliced in a connector and went to the ground with some 14 gauge wire, it dropped to 0.7mV!! I definitely notice a difference in how smooth she drives and throttle response. I'll find out about my gas mileage soon enough. Car feels more eager to run though, and idle has definitely leveled a bit.

#17 ·
Would rough idle especially when cold and also the engine will occasionally die when cold with the clutch in be an early indicator of this problem, possibly a marginal ground.

Art

#18 ·
It definitely could. It's pretty easy to do per the se-r.net directions. I'd recommend at least checking the voltage. Another possible cause of your prob is a dirty/malfunctioning egr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.