SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is my story of a very bad header install and the results. Basically, every problem we could have run into we did! We could not remove my cat from the old exhaust and ended up using another cat. The heads of the bolts connecting the cat and resonator pipe were shaved off. But we figured that it woudl be a temporary fix, for about a week, to let me pass emissions. Well, everything is back on, but, i did manage to snap the far left bolt on the block when I was torquing it.

Well, I didn't think this would be too major, the car was back together, and would get me past a week until I could get a more permanent replacement. How wrong is this? The car idles and sounds like a motorboat. There is very little, if any power, and the thing keeps on stalling and backfiring. The cat is also starting to seperate from the resonator pipe now. It seems to be getting so hot that it glows an orange color.

What I need to know, is what everyone thinks the causes to my problems are. It doesn't seem like that much exhaust is leaking at the block. What would cause my car to turn into a tugboat?????

Kevin Wnek
93 Classic Tugboat
advanced timing, pop filter, stillen header, shitted exhaust

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was thinking, could the idle problems be ingition related? Maybe the timing, spark plugs, or wires?

Kevin Wnek
93 Classic Tugboat

·
Registered
312 Posts
did ya put a used cat on or was it a new one. Kinda sounds to me like ya got a bum cat.

If the cat is getting that hot there is something wrong with it. This would also cause you problems with idle and create more backpressure in the exhaust increasing the leak from the head to header connection.

Just a thought.
Rick

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I snapped my far right bolt on the head.
I was too lazy to order a part so I bought some liquid copper gasket stuff and put in on there to stop any leaks. I know thats super ghetto, but it worked. I'll order that bolt some day.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, according to the mechanic I just called, the cat is done for. Yeah, it was a used one, since we couldn't get my old one back on. So, the mechanic is gonna put my old one back on there for me tomorrow.

On his recommendation, I disconnected my cat from the flex-pipe. WOW, I forgot how loud cars are without their cats. No more pur, now it sounds like a jet engine! haha But, the idle is back to normal , I don't know about power, I was reluctant to drive it around now that it's soo loud. I don't need to get a ticket!

As for the bolt in the block. I may let that go for a bit. My cash is beyond low right now. I'll get it fixed at some point......the ghetto fix sounds like a good deal till I can work it out thought. Thanks!

Kevin Wnek
93 Pratt & Whitney Classic

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
When installing my header I broke the far right stud coming out of the head. It didn't leak at first but now it leaks like a sun of a gun. Sounds real ragged but adds to the sleeper ragged look. I am not worried about fixing my leak , I got my JDM in yesterday.

Darren

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wouldn't start.......

Ok, it sux when your car starts one day, and not the next. This is what happened this morning. Went outside to start her up and get to the repair shop, and it was turning over really slowly. So, seems like the battery went dead lastnight. It was pretty cold, and may have been very depleted from when we took it out.

So, I had it towed to the shop. The guy is gonna jump it and fix the exhaust. I'm hoping that's all that needs to be done.

Kevin Wnek
93 Pratt & Whitney Classic
advanced timing, pop filter, stillen header, shitted exhaust.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Broken Head Studs

Hi
One of my friends that works at a Ford dealer as a meknik told me about a guy who comes out (Mobile) and removes broken studs in heads, on the car with a laser for like $50!!! If you've ever tried to remove a stud by drilling it out, you know that this is a BARGAIN. I haven't actually tried it yet, but am tempted...

Anyone need help installing a header????

Ha Ha

TW

91 Classic

Nothin....YET

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, now the shop says that the car wouldn't start when they tried to jump it. I don' t know if it turned over or not. I'm about to go down there and take a look at the progress for myself. I'll keep you informed......any ideas what it might be?????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car is back!!! The reason it wouldn't start was the spark plug wires were mixed up or something. I guess we were a little careless in putting them back on. Oh well, it's fixed for the most part. Just gotta put my old resonator back on there (the one on there now has a crack. And, get the bolt in the block fixed.

The header definitely makes a nice growl. I like it. I haven't really had a chance to let it out and get a seat of the pants estimate on HP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts