SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
stirring but plain-faced
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my ECU back from JWT and the car was running well. I was on my way back to school(330 mile drive) and the car was running perfectly for about 300 miles when something happened to the transmission. I was crusing in 5th gear, not even boosting when the car came out of gear and made a grinding noise. I put it in 4th but it did the same thing. Now when i try to put the car in any gear it just makes a grinding noise when I let the clutch out and does not move. Im pretty the the transmission is completely detroyed, but i just thought i would get some commentary from some of the guys who have broken gears before. From what i have read people usually have use of atleast a couple of gears, when something goes wrong, is this true?

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Reading your post at first I thought it was the infamous 5th gear popout, but then I saw your other gears don't work either.

Do you have another stock ECU? This is a long shot but you could try putting that in to see. I really doubt it though, sound like your tranny is fried. The JWT ECU was probably just a coincidence but you never know.

·
TDO6 20G Turbo SR20DET
294 Posts
could be the pressure plate that failed, the same thing happened to me but i thought it was the tranny and after changing it twice i figured it was the pressure plate springs that had failed, either way take your tranny down and undo your clutch housing, inspect the clutch disc and pressure plate

carlos

·
stirring but plain-faced
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to drain a bit of the fluid today and there where a couple of half inch metal shards on the drain plug. With amount of damage that seems to have been done i would have thought there would be more **** just floating around in the tranny.

Yeah james it was kinda strange that everything went at once, have you ever seen that happen? Im going to pull the tranny over spring break so i can check on the clutch and what not.

I knew the tranny was going to go one day but i just didnt think it would while i was just cruising on the highway.

Storm88000 said:
Yeah, that is odd. Maybe he was beating on it with the new higher fuel cut and extra HP.
The cars has a t3/to4e on it, its not just a bolt on car that i just put an ECU in.

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
Your trans is NOT destoryed. I'd bet 10 bucks. My trans while making horrible noises lasted for about a month of abuse that I was actually TRYING to break it. Finally it just quit going in and out of gears easily so I parked it. Your problem sounds clutch related. The Throw out bearing may have given out or something along those lines. Double check all the shifter rods and clutch cable.
EDIT Metal in the fluid could be input shaft bearing. Pull it like planned and keep us updated.

·
stirring but plain-faced
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its funny that you say something about the TO bearing. Mine has been making noise forever now. I replaced it once but it still did the same thing so i just decided to deal with it. There have been a few people that had issues with TO bearings with their clutch specialties setups. If that is the problem then i better be getting a free PP at the least, because i know its toast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts