SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this mod helps? Has anyone of you tried it?

I drive a B15...I took out the stock air box, then took some wire and strapped the air filter element to the cover of the air box (the "top"), threw the stock box in my tool bin...now my car has an open filter...

Anyone of you done this? I find that the car seemed to be MORE sluggish when its in third gear around 2-3.5K RPM...maybe its just me...however...it REALLY does give more kick when you are say doin freeway speeds and punch on the gas...the slush box kicking down to passing gear...the tach climbing up towards 5K...it reves up faster...just my take...

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
if you have no loot it's worth trying. Wont do as much as timing advance though. you lose low end cause it draws hot air from the engine compatment. This clears up ar freeway speeds and gives you maybe 1-3hp up top.

·
Registered
723 Posts
hahahaha... i just did this today... why?

cuz i was bored.

it didnt seem to make a difference for me... and i dont care either.. ill be getting a cai soon

anyways i think anyspeed above 20mph would be enough to froce cooler air into the engine compartment....

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KICK ASS MATT:
I don't know if this mod helps? Has anyone of you tried it?

I drive a B15...I took out the stock air box, then took some wire and strapped the air filter element to the cover of the air box (the "top"), threw the stock box in my tool bin...now my car has an open filter...

Anyone of you done this?
</font>
Nope..never been done before!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's what I did:

I unbolted the box from the MAF.
I took the box off the piece that holds it to the MAF and rebolted that piece back to the MAF. It now had a horn looking piece sticking out. I went to "Home Depot"
and bought a 4" to 3" rubber coupling. The 4" inch side fits right on the MAF horn piece and the 3" side fits right on my Funnel Racing filter. TADA!!!! IT looks niiice!!
TOTAL PRICE: $30 !!
$25 for filter and $5 for the coupling.

[This message has been edited by 94_REDSE-R (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
723 Posts
o... haha i heard that "intake growl" today..

i thought it accompanied with high revs but i found out it only becomes audible when you fully open the throttle.

its a gurgling deep throaty sound

1 - 7 of 7 Posts