SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any proven method to go by when making intercooler piping out of 180 degree mandrel bends? I am talking along the lines of ways to mock up how the piping will be run before cutting and welding. Someone with experience please give me your suggestions.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
Aero Deck said:
Is there any proven method to go by when making intercooler piping out of 180 degree mandrel bends? I am talking along the lines of ways to mock up how the piping will be run before cutting and welding. Someone with experience please give me your suggestions.
i really suggest getting some that is pre made. it can be done, but it is a pain without the right tools. 3 u-bends, strait from BB compressor outlet pipe toward washer bottle, strait down through chassis into bumper/wheel well, strait forward, then strait toword the IC. basically the same thing for the cold side.

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts

this is what i made for someone

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I wont need to make as much for mine. I have a U13 setup and all the factory rubber piping with the BOV and everything, so the piping I need to make is minimal.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Flexible exhaust tubing works to help mock-up intercooler pipes. You can't bend it sharply, but for smooth bends....it's a cheap way to pre-fab your pipes. About $6 for a 2-3 foot section at MonkeyZone.

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
teh hot pipe was pretty easy that set-up was mad for a p10.

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
thats what the set-up i made that for was , just notched the x member and went from there the forst section is a DSM outlet to a piece of a resonator that brought it up to the right size then jsut went from there.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Cardboard. Trace the shape of the U-bend, cut it out, then cut it to fit the car. If you mess up and cut too much off, just tape it back on... :D

For each "weld" cut out a round piece of cardboard the same diameter of the piping, and tape it between each section to represent a "weld". This way, they all line up.

Once you're done, just put the carboard pieces on top of the real pipe, mark and cut.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
BTW, in tight places where you're not certain it will fit, you can either cut off a 3" long section of pipe, cut the section in half, then tape it to either side of the cardboard mockup (you will have plenty of 3" long pieces left over, trust me) or just cut another piece of round cardboard and tape it in there.

Personally, I just eyeball it. :D

·
nothing but shenanigans
763 Posts
i eyeball it as well and then duct tape all the pipes to gether and "test fit" it in. Then take a razor blade and cut out 2 spots of tape where the pipes join and tack them there. Then take of the tape and make a few more tacks. test fit again if necessary and weld up. I.ve done alot of ic pipes this way as well as a few exhausts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.