SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Autocrosser
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering Redline MT-90 but I'm having second thoughts after searching. My car is driven year round at temperatures between -35 and +35 celsius (95 to -31 Fahrenheit) and is autocrossed, any recommendations? GM Syncromesh? Motul? Royal Purple?

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
Redline HD shockproof

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
What made you have second thoughts about using MT-90? If its the temperature thing, all you have to do is give the car some time to warm up in the winter. The MT-90 will be able to do good in -35 Celsius.

·
Autocrosser
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a few people who think it's shortened the life of their tranny but not knowing how they drive or how often they change the transmission fluid it's hard to say what caused the problems. I wasn't sure about the temperatures either.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'd stick with MT-90

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have mt-90... works great

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm using MT-90 and it shifts smooth, however my trans. isnt doing to well in the cold weather, but once it warms up it shifts great.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm going to be using MT-90 shortly, from the thousands of threads i've read, I think this stuff will be all I need.

·
Registered
55 Posts
yeah ... this year drove the NX in some -40 celcius...and never had any problems. Let it warm up a bit and you'll be fine. Shift real smoooth too :D

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
Summit racing

·
Registered
470 Posts
myoilshop.com and use dealer code 675421 good for 10% off. I think it was $31 shipped with discount.

·
Registered
237 Posts
a rep from redline

The ShockProof gear lubes are designed and generally better
suited to racing use and I wouldn't recommend them for your
transaxle. It may be too slippery for the synchros. Yes I would
recommend the MT-90 it is a GL-4 gear lube as called for.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

thought this might help folks...

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
i dunno about below freezing temps, but Mike Kojima recommends shockproof for our weak transmissions.

·
Autocrosser
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I sent an e-mail to Redline too and they recommended it for my driving conditions so I'll be picking some up.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Ok guys we don't get Redline over here. What else is a good tranny oil to use? Royal Purple seems to be creeping into our market but don't know of anyone who has used it yet.

Should I use a synthetic, semi or mineral? And what thickness. It's for my lightly modded SR20De. Temeratures range from -5 Celcius to 35 Celcius. Fair amount of traffic driving.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts