SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people, i'm a newbie but have been reading these forums for a few weeks, it's a useful resource considering my mechanical ignorance and the scarcity of these great cars.

Anyway i'm planning on taking my 1992 nx on her first country trip and due to hot weather would like the targas off... I was wondering if this is recommended? I'm concerned the hatch would act like a giant sail and give me crap mileage, or worst case would be rear glass blowing out. Is there a combination I can use to maxamise highway aerodynamicy (eg targas down/windows up, vice versa, or both down?)... Sorry if this is answered in the service manual but I didn't receive one with my car.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
odd enough, yet good question, I myself have not noticed a big difference in mileage. I can say that air does get trapped in the car, I know this from hitting rain without the t's and seeing the drops on the back window. I have done 135(stupidly) with the tops off and windows up with no problems. Its your call on what you want to do, but I don't see the back glass blowing out.

·
Only Car in Cali W/ Rust!
437 Posts
Nissan wouldn't make a T-tops on a car if the back hatch would blow out. They make the car with certain degrees of freedom so something like that wouldnt happen. The only way i can see something like this happening is if you're driving 180 mph into a 200 mph headwind. The "sail" doesnt pick up that much air to force it out.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Yeah Ive done 120 no problem, it seems a lot less stable, but thats about it....

Windows down, tops off...

-Josh

·
Registered
617 Posts
Don't think you'll have any problem about damage to the car, but at highway cruising speed the wind noise is pretty damn loud with the t-tops off, if you're going on a road trip the noise might start to bug you.

Welcome to the boards tourist - which state in Aus. are you from?

·
getting close
2,002 Posts
I do it all the time and travel at a high rate of speed(100-155or so) and have never had any problems. it does affect gas mileage a bit but come on its a sports car and its fun to have the tops off. I have mine off all the time, unless its raining outside.

Later,Jon

·
Registered
208 Posts
The won't be any damage to the car; I have been well over 100 with the T's out in both NX I have owned, and went 155 (indicated) in a '97 Z28 with the tops out. I have been over 130 in the T/A with them out.

Gas mileage will suffer slightly with the tops out. I have been checking mileage on road trips for years, and generally speaking both NX and V8 F-bodies get about 3 mpg worse on the highway at slightly over the posted limit with the tops out, and about 2 mpg worse with the ac on. On a long trip that only ends up being a couple/few dollars, which is well worth it to me to enjoy a nice day with the tops out.

It is not a coincidence that both my cars have T-tops. The ironic thing is that my 380rwhp Trans Am got 28.2 mpg on one leg (no air and tops in), and my basically stock NX only gets 30-31 on the same stretch of road. When the T/A has less mods (before the cam basically), it pulled 29.9 mpg once :eek:

Anyway, run without them if the weather is nice!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the freeway near my house, and i hit 160km/h constantly with no problems.

I can't remember if i had the Targa's off when i did 190, but there would be some kind of drag going at that speed, but as one of the guys said above, put the windows up if you really want to :)

But i don't see a problem.

as for the T-Top and Targa Top argument, T is short for Targa! just like the mr2's and 300zx have T-tops (or targa if you may).

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
NX0000 said:
...as for the T-Top and Targa Top argument, T is short for Targa! just like the mr2's and 300zx have T-tops (or targa if you may).
No. Targa Tops are one piece. With no center bar in the middle. Just an open section.

T-Tops have a center support bar. Hence "T" Tops.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Who cares... i bought the NX purely for the T-Top (Targa Top... or whatever)

and loving it, it's kinda got a back seat, thank god i don't know any big girls!!!
every other car i know don't have a back seat with T-tops, and if they do, they're just as small even smaller than the NX back seat!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts