SR20 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
El Rey de los Chingones
301 Posts
At summit racing I found a kit of Russell performance SS brake lines for $57 (for 4, part # RUS-686750), which is only a bit more expensive than what it be if I built my own with AN lines. The lines are for the B13. My question is will this work with the Maxima calipers (the SS lines for the maxima are almost $100)? Is the difference between the kits the length (thus the B13 kit would be applicable) or the fittings? Thanks,

-Nic

·
Registered
50 Posts
B13 front brake upgrade

I'm buying a '91 B13 in a few days, and the seller, a good friend of mine on this forum, has told me it needs new rotors soon, on the front. I'm thinking about going ahead and just doing a decent upgrade to the front brakes. I've read through the various threads, but, again, I'm new to SE-R's (long time fan of Nissan though :D ) along with some of the things that can be done to them. Again, I've read through many of the threads here, but am wondering what the best recommended upgrade for the front brakes would be...I'm not looking to spend thousands or do a non-abs conversion... Any input would be greatly appreciated

·
El Rey de los Chingones
301 Posts
Umm... what are you going to be using the car for? Rotors are fairly cheap, calipers not so much. If you plan on doing track days, do some research on the NX2000 upgrade and the Fast Brakes 11 inch rotor kit. Post up if you have any follow-up questions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The car is going to be my primary daily driver, with a few doses of Colorado winding mountain roads every weekend. I don't want to spend an outrageous amount, but doing a caliper conversion was one of the ideas I've been tossing around, and from what I'm told the car needs rotors.. Thanks for your help :) I'll read up on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm looking at that upgrade through this thread and a few others, but I am a bit confused on the configuration. For front brakes, it's NX2000 rotors, Altima lines, and calipers?

·
El Rey de los Chingones
301 Posts

·
out with neck injury :-(
1,231 Posts
^^ correct, stock lines work just fine, so long as your B13 is non-ABS :).

Did anyone figure out where to get slotted rear rotors? Would you just hit up a parts warehouse for Maxima rr. rotors and get 'em redrilled?

Thanks in advance,
///harry

·
Registered
50 Posts
Awesome, thanks a lot guys. I have a good starting point now :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
In your research how did you confirm that the U13 master cylinder is the correct part for the ad22/cl9ha combo?

I've been trying to research this myself, and what I've come up with is that the euro nx's did not have double proportioning valves like our B13 se-r's. They have rear load sensing valves. I did find out that the lhd gti-r's have the double proportioning valves but I have not been able to come up with a part number for that part. Also I don't know what the proportioning rates are for the LHD Gti-r Master Cylinder.

·
bitemyshinymetalass
1,240 Posts
Sub Wildwood Fastbrake fronts, that is what I have - 11" fronts, Max calipers with re-drilled rotors and larger master from a U13.

There is some rear bias that is surprising, with the the stock Nissan pads and Hawk EPS up front, until you get them warmed up a little, the rears have some tendency to lock if traction isn't perfect (sand, etc.).

Only issue I had is the Corrado rotors I needed hub rings to snug up the fronts, now they are very, very good.

Phenomenal Stoppers

·
bitemyshinymetalass
1,240 Posts

·
bitemyshinymetalass
1,240 Posts

·
Enjoying the Ride
2,127 Posts
^^ correct, stock lines work just fine, so long as your B13 is non-ABS :).

Did anyone figure out where to get slotted rear rotors? Would you just hit up a parts warehouse for Maxima rr. rotors and get 'em redrilled?

Thanks in advance,
///harry
I ordered these:
http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_...id=62&osCsid=069f096dc67dd2c32412a3cdb7d31b9e

Andreas got me the maxima calipers and altima m/c. I am pairing these with the 11" drilled and slotted willwoods on my NX.

·
bitemyshinymetalass
1,240 Posts
I ordered these:
http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_...id=62&osCsid=069f096dc67dd2c32412a3cdb7d31b9e

Andreas got me the maxima calipers and altima m/c. I am pairing these with the 11" drilled and slotted willwoods on my NX.
Good set. Nicely packaged and for $85 including D/S rotors, thats hard to beat unless you're using used parts from another car. Still have to obtain the Max calipers but that's easy. At least you know the rotors fit the smaller bolt pattern.

If your heart is set on drilled/slotted for rears, be sure to ask for it. I know it states "slotted and drilled" on their site - but, I bought a a set of replacement fronts from Fastbrakes for the Wildwood calipers, listed as drilled/slotted and got plain (no big, they will still work great, only charged me the lower price, too). I should have specified explicitily I wanted slotted.

I am still curious whether the PV was changed on my car, there is a good amount of rear bias even with the larger master cylinder. The pedal feel is great, only the Brembos x4 on my G-Coupe feel better (for $1000's more, they had better be).

·
Project Achilles
474 Posts
I've searched my brains out and I can't find the tech specs for the nx2k brakes. I know the rears are 258mm, but what's the diameter for the fronts?

I'm trying to order the parts through the body shop I work at, and the parts houses keep sending me the wrong brakes. Motion sent me the AD18V's for the SE-R instead of the AD22VF's for the NX like I asked them to, and they sent me the 250mm rotors the 18's too. I gave the part number that BRE92SER listed for the fronts to NAPA and they sent me the 250's, and I'm concerned that they're going to send me the AD18V's just like Motion did.

Why's this so damn difficult? Any help would be much appreciated.

Lance

·
Project Achilles
474 Posts
has anyone else had any problems with the brake lines rubbin up against the SE-R wheels and wearing a hole in the line? i just had this happen to me last night on my way out to the track. i went to hit my brakes and they went out. i pulled off to the side of the road and noticed that my driver's side brake line had been rubbing up against my SE-R wheel and wore a hole in it.

I just wanted to let any of you guys know about this problem, and see if anyone else has had this same problem.

·
bitemyshinymetalass
1,240 Posts
has anyone else had any problems with the brake lines rubbin up against the SE-R wheels and wearing a hole in the line? i just had this happen to me last night on my way out to the track. i went to hit my brakes and they went out. i pulled off to the side of the road and noticed that my driver's side brake line had been rubbing up against my SE-R wheel and wore a hole in it.

I just wanted to let any of you guys know about this problem, and see if anyone else has had this same problem.
Sorry to hear that, hope it didn't ruin your track time.

My lines are zip-tied against the shock/damper to avoid this. Just putting them in the stock mounts would have let them rub. Even SS eventually would rub through. I don't have SE-R wheels, which would probably be worse for clearance, but even with the Motegei Tracklites, I'd have the same problem up front.

You can see here where the covering on the SS lines was rubbing at some point before I bought the car, it would have caused some problems:

Wildwood Brakes

·
Project Achilles
474 Posts
see, i don't have a problem with the passenger side, only the driver side. the driver side was rubbing against the rim of the wheel and wore a hole in the line. the passenger side is about 2" away from the entire wheel. i think i'll just do what you did and zip tie the lines when i run the SE-R wheels.

I'm just gonna order up some ss lines. i think it would be way more cost effective to get some of those than to try to get a rubber line.

·
bitemyshinymetalass
1,240 Posts
see, i don't have a problem with the passenger side, only the driver side. the driver side was rubbing against the rim of the wheel and wore a hole in the line. the passenger side is about 2" away from the entire wheel. i think i'll just do what you did and zip tie the lines when i run the SE-R wheels.

I'm just gonna order up some ss lines. i think it would be way more cost effective to get some of those than to try to get a rubber line.
Seems like mine had been rubbing more on the driver's side too, must be how the line is routed. No issues leaving it zipped, you can see where the coating was rubbed off but the lines are just SS - the coating seems unnecessary to me.

They don't rub on the Motegei Tracklites, which have minimal clearance.

HTH

You can see my setup from many angles at this link

21 - 40 of 45 Posts