SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought my 91 SE-R and I have an Acura Integra. I love the engine in the Integra, but realize that it looks good stock and that messing with such a weak block is stupid. Now the SR20 I have heard is bulletproof. I used to own one but wrecked it and now I decided to get another one. Anyways, what is the most boost anyone has successfully run through a USDM spec SR20DE engine. Second what is the most reliable boost the average joe is running? Now I know all the upgrades needed like injectors, fuel rail and all that good stuff. All I wanna know is how much will the SR20 block take before it just gives out.
Also, is the SR20DET block any stronger?

·
Registered
194 Posts
It also depends on if you want maximum boost for pump gas or race gas and depends on which turbo setup you are going with too. But it has held up to 20-23 psi on race gas in a two cars that I can think of off the top of my head. Both cars pushing around 400whp too.

Mel

·
Registered
62 Posts
Theres a couple down here which run over 35psi at around 700hp on a stock bottom end. The SR's weakness is the head, not the block.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nope we don't seem to get that. We don't stop with rocker arms etc either, we crack the head

Personally I've done my pistons (more due to tuning and trying to get away with a modified stock ecu rather than getting a proper ecu like a Haltech) and when they pulled the head off they found a few cracks. I won't be going to a bigger turbo until I get the Haltech installed. IMO this is one of the most important things, to quote the tuner I prefer "power doesn't kill engines, bad tuning does"

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So then what are the options head wise? Can you get a whole new head or is there someway to get incredible power without cracking the head? I know you said good tuning will work, but there has to be a breaking point and I know that Guge offers a lot of head options for honda engines. Just wondering what people are doing to overcome this.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah. Come to think of it I hear of more SR's popping off rocker arms and bending valves than I hear of throwing rods or cracking pistons. Do RWD DET's have the spun bearing problem that alot of the FWD/AWD DET's do?

Mel

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
wel i pushed 22psi on the t-28 that came with my gti-r motor. as far as i know we can push 8,000 before floating a valve. if you want better/more reliable valve trane then i would reccomend. i didn't have any problems after i did my big turbo. and i pushed 22psi on the stock bottom end. i did however pull the motor just as the gentleman from aus more for tuning than problems. there is a guy from florida, i don't know if he wants his name mentioned so i will respect him, that knows a trick to prevent the rocker arm and valve damage. and believe it or not it is simple.
ryan b. has a stock bottom end and is running over 20psi and made 392whp and has over 100k on his motor.

jimmy
1996 200sx gti-r motor
http://www.eiptuning.com/projects/200sxser1stpage.html

G

·
there is a guy from florida, i don't know if he wants his name mentioned so i will respect him, that knows a trick to prevent the rocker arm and valve damage.

***Are you talking about Andreas Miko? If so, he peobably doesn't mind getting props for being innovative. By the way, would you care to fill us in as to what this mod is?

Sincerely,

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R
GTi-R powered with F-MAX kit

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
No disrespect to anyone, but I don't think Andreas would like his "tricks of the trade" just posted on the internet like that. I'm sure that if anyone wanted to know (and he wanted you to know) a simple e-mail to him would be more than enough. I know that if I found a way to do something different, I wouldn't want just anyone knowing (not that I'd wanna be shady, but you know how some people are).

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
yeah it is andre, but as dave said, i dunno if he wants his secrets all out in the open. so i respected his privacy and didn't open my mouth where it may have not been welcome. again as dave said if anyone wants to know i am sure he is a e mail away. i give alot of props to andre, i have spoken to him from time to time and he has helped me tremendously. so andre if i never said it before, thanks alot!!!.

jimmy
1996 200sx gti-r motor
http://www.eiptuning.com/projects/200sxser1stpage.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts