SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are the pros/cons with electrical vs. mechanical gagues? Is one more accurate than another? Is one easier to install than another?

And are Auto Meter Ultra-Lite gagues back-lit?

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
I would go with electrical gauges. With mechanical you have hot fluid running through lines in the passenger compartment. Odds are nothing will happen but the thought of being hosed down with hot oil or coolant scares me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I second that!

I installed a set of electrical gauges on my 200, and the install was a breeze. I have the autometer sport comp <--- or something like that :D

Just make sure you get the nissport adapters for the water temp and oil pressure senders. Well, assuming that that's the gauges you'll be installing. :D

·
Registered
527 Posts
Electrical is easier to install in my opinion but mechanical is a little cheaper. I'd still go electrical.

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
I had an electrical oil press gauge, and the sender went bad, scared the **** out of me. I thought my motor was going bad. Basically it was only showing me 15psi on the highway. Swapped it out with a mechanical one, and its all better.

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are either of them more accurate than the other?

Where do I get these nissport adapters? Do you have a part number?

So, does anyone know if the AutoMeter Ultralite gagues are lit? Aren't most of them lit? I figure they probably are, just don't want to spend $200 for a set of gagues I can't see at night.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
white classic said:
Are either of them more accurate than the other?
Mechanical gages tend to be more accurate than electrical. Plus they don't require any electricity to operate.

Electrical gages are easier to install.

BTW, HERE's a Autometer gage install write up that i did a couple of years ago.

Where do I get these nissport adapters?
Right HERE

Do you have a part number?
NS-2050 NISsport Water Temperature Adapter

NS-2100 NISsport Oil Pressure Adapter

So, does anyone know if the AutoMeter Ultralite gagues are lit? Aren't most of them lit? I figure they probably are, just don't want to spend $200 for a set of gagues I can't see at night.
All the AutoMeter gages are lit.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
When I do my turbo swap I plan to do an entirely new cluster using aftermarket gauges, and it'll likely be mostly be electrical with a few mechanical as well. As long as the senders are accurate electrical will work fine.

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn, those nissport adapters are as expensive as the gagues themselves! Awesome work, though, subculture. You answered exactly what I asked, no more, no less. I love you, man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts