SR20 Forum banner

Merkur----

577 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ProjectSE-R 
#1 ·
Well. when I could get her to run right, she screamed. I ate 5.0's all day. I had a mechanic friend of mine help me with the engine part, the BIG jobs anyway. The Merks didnt have intercoolers from the factory unlike the SVO mustang and T-bird Turbo Coupes, So I added one from a late 80's 944. Then upgraded the T3 to a Grand National Turbo, ran 19 psi with ported intakes and heads. I installed a 9" ford with 3.73 gears and ripped out the T-9 for the infamous T-5 tranny. All in all, she scorched the earth, that is until I blew the head gasket and ultimately melted a piston to the cylinder! AHHH!

G
#3 ·
XR4Ti..........aaaaahhhhh, alow and behold.
Them things are sweet but get to lookin like **** if you dont take care of them.
I'd rather see someone else have one. I like my money. .......But they are nice. Someone had a 300zx V6 Turbo in one in a "Readers Rides" section a while back in SCC.

#5 ·
my friend bought one awhile ago just to jack around with it... Very interesting in deed. I did like the RWD and Handeling, but boy did he have a TON of probs with that car. He ran it at hte track, blew the headgasket on its first pass lol. Then a few weeks later just caught on fire when he was goin down the freeway, he got sick of the car and left it on the side of the road unclaimed.

------------------
'95 200SX SE-R - Jim Wolf Clutch, K&N, CN Catback Exhaust, CN strut bars, KYB AGX, Eibach ProKit, audio
'99 Prelude base - CAI, Greddy SP
'02 TL Type S - Stock

#6 ·
Oh yeah! As many times that I went to bone yards to swipe various pieces, I would say about 85% of them were in there due to engine fires. Nasty indeed. I replaced the engine in mine twice, tranny twice(before the T-5 Conversion), and the rear end twice. I blew about 5 drive shaft bearings/guibos off of it, that was real fun. Like I said, when she ran right, it ran like a demon, but that was about half the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.