SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've searched for the following keywords in the 200sx SER section so let me know if I'm missing something that would enlighten me to the answer:

metal MAF
air flow meter differences
air flow meter
MAF
plastic MAF
changes MAF
OBD I
OBD
OBD Changes

So anyways, my question is, the SER I just picked up has a metal MAF with the larger square bolt pattern. Before this I only saw that B13's had this metal MAF... I've seen some B14 pictures on here with plastic MAF's as well.

So what is the reason it was changed? And what is the difference? I know a lot of threads talk about how all B14's are OBD, but like in the 240sx S14, the first half of 95 year models were actually OBD I cars, is this the case with the B14 as well?

Sorry if its been covered before and thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide! :)

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
I for one have never seen a plastic MAF on a B13 or B14. I've always seen metal MAFs on B14 SE-Rs from my experience. What changed with the switch to OBD-II with the MAF was the wiring and style of connector (basically meaning that you can't use an OBD-1 MAF in your car).

Also, from what I've understood, all B14s came with OBD-II.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Harris! ;)

Just needed clarification because in the process of finding a MAF adaptor I had been sent two different pieces that were wrong bolt patterns and the third piece that worked was after I told the guy to try the 94 MAF adaptor.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
That's something you could have searched! :squint:

The 1994 SE-Rs were the only ones that came with a low-port in the B13 lineup. That's why almost everything is interchangeable motor-wise between '94 B13 SE-Rs and all B14 SE-Rs (there are a few things that won't be interchangeable, like the MAF and distributor, for example). '94 SE-Rs were still OBD-I though.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take it easy on me Harris! I'm SER virgin... :eek2:

So that was what I was saying, I know the older engines were low port, that's why I found it strange when I asked to try the low port MAF adaptor it fit where as the previous adaptor was when I asked for a 95 (assumed highport) adaptor.

oh well! thanks for the answer!

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
James said:
Take it easy on me Harris! I'm SER virgin... :eek2:

So that was what I was saying, I know the older engines were low port, that's why I found it strange when I asked to try the low port MAF adaptor it fit where as the previous adaptor was when I asked for a 95 (assumed highport) adaptor.

oh well! thanks for the answer!
You got it backwards. 91-93 were highports 94-01 were low ports. :biggthump

1 - 7 of 7 Posts