SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Time to replace the DE.

Parts list so far: (if you got it or I'm missing something, feel free to offer it )

Acquired:
--------------------------------------------------
- sr20ve
- ECU (JWT B14 used and reprogrammed)
- B14 harness/harness to ECU connector
- Metal exhaust mani gasket
- B15DE/VE water pump
- stock DE water temp sender (lame riveted on wire connector getting bad)
- new stock DE front and rear MMs (tearing), have MMIs already
- main seal
- valve cover seal
- spark plugs (NGK BKR6E-N-11)
- oil filters
- new copper primary to secondary gasket (Summit part #SCE-9400)
- B14 MAF
- solenoid switch (MSD 8969)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice to see another B15 coming to the VE family. Keep us posted on your progress. ;)
Hope to do a nice writeup with some pics and video time lapse maybe.

I think I remember Coach offering some help a while back when I first started thinking about this. ;)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not have pics, but this might help you. At the time, I had not swapped the ECU for a B14, but was able to have the car run with the B15 ECU. If you are nervous about the wiring, you can always temporarily run your car like this, until you are ready to swap ECUs.

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2161992&postcount=86
Cool. Wiring doesn't bug me at all, not sure if I'll get JWT to reprogram the ECU before my DE goes though. So I may be running a B15 ECU for a week or so.

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
Zerosin, where do you work man? And if you say Trivalent, I am going to freak cause that means you filled my slot.

brent

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zerosin, where do you work man? And if you say Trivalent, I am going to freak cause that means you filled my slot.

brent
Compucraft Inc. downtown on the west side. I'm a Mac guy specializing in networking, web design, multimedia, video editing and graphic art. I used to be an A/V tech before this.

Sorry you got bumped though.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ECU sent off to JWT. 333cc, B14 MAF, premium pump gas, no speed limit, rev limit at 7,200. They no longer provide EGR and rear O2 delete but provided the resistor specs to do so myself.

·
Racing Addict
254 Posts
^^
I'm currently having the same work being done on my B14 ECU (only difference is I have a VE MAF). They should be done by August 24th.

For rear O2 and EGR delete, you can always live with the SES light or disconnect it. The car runs fine even if the ECU throws these codes.

Can't wait ;)

·
Racing Addict
254 Posts
JWT recommends a 7200 RPM limiter, unless we upgrade the valve springs. This is based on the stock VE limiter being at 7100 RPM. Also, you are wrong. The peak HP for a stock VE is @7000rpm (based on the #'s posted in the VE FAQ).

Personally, from doing lots of track time, I prefer to have a conservative setting on the possible RPMs. I prefer to give up a bit of power to increase reliability. I tend to bang on the limiter every now and then, so I prefer this happening in the 7200 RPM range. I've driven the car the way it is right now up until 7000 RPM, and that will probably be my "normal" shift point anyway. I can keep it in the VVL that kicks in at 5000 RPM when taking hours to change gears, so I'm good.

Anyway, if I ever need a higher redline, there are alternatives... For now, 7200 is good enough for me.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
8k is running it on the risky side with the stock cams. 7500 is a good place leaves you room and it wont bend any valves going that high. But if 7200 is ok with you more power to you.
1.6 cams.

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts

I rev mines to 8k and I run a 80 shot of NOS and I have hit the rev limiter alot of times and no bent valves.I guess I'm just lucky.
wait till you pull the head and check your valves.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^
I'm currently having the same work being done on my B14 ECU (only difference is I have a VE MAF). They should be done by August 24th.

For rear O2 and EGR delete, you can always live with the SES light or disconnect it. The car runs fine even if the ECU throws these codes.

Can't wait ;)
Been livin with those codes for a couple of months now. Not a biggie for me, but I want the ses light for my girl. ;)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Did I mention this is a DD and the occasional other party will be driving it? Once things get settled in who knows. Maybe I'll find a 240 to drop this VE head in and the original DE might happen to have had a valve job. One reason to use a harness adapter rather than splicing. :D

Good to know I'm not starting by pushing the limits though, nice place to start.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts