SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You had the Courtesy exhaust before the turbo right? They say that the turbo actually quiets the exhaust since the compressor blade slices up the soundwaves. Is your exhaust quieter than it was before?

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
I will relate some stuff that I found out in the process of doing my NX2000 regarding mufflers and noise level.

One thing is that yes, while the turbo itself actually does quiet it down a bit, it is still loud as hell if you have a short muffler or no cat. My NX had a 3" cat, and a 3", 12" diameter muffler and it was almost loud enough to make your ears bleed. I mean it was really, really, unbearably loud. So I had a muffler shop weld in a 3" dia. glasspack midpipe, which besically took the edge off, but it was still too loud IMO.

The secret to keeping it quiet is getting long exhaust components. For my current project I'm getting a 20" glasspack midpipe, a 17" cat, and a 19" muffler, all 3" diameter and it will all have 3" mandrel bent piping, and a 3" downpipe as well. I believe this will allow for plenty of throughput while keeping the noise level way down. I really hope it will be fairly quiet actually.

Ryan's car doesn't sound too bad, it's definitely livable, and quieter than a lot of NA SE-Rs with bigass mufflers, and I think his muffler is 20" long.

I'll be blabbing all about it when it's finished anyway, so I'll have a better idea of just how effective it all is when it's done.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
I have the courtesy b-pipe and a 3 chamber mufler. Its pretty quiet the sweet noise from the turbo sucking air is the loudest thing coming from the car. I don't know if you ever heard a supped up Eclips or not but at idle my exhaust has that bubbly sound to it.

I'm going to get a straight through mufler from my sister inlaw. It's 2.5"in/out when I get it on I'll let you know how loud it gets.

Mike

·
_______
3,640 Posts
I put my new mufler and rear section on my car. The mufler is 2.25" straight through and the pipe going from the Courtesy B-pipe to the mufler is 2.5". I didn't notice very much noise diffrence from the 3 chamber mufler I had on before. It might be a bit louder but its not that bad. What I did notice is its bakefiring between 1st to 2nd gear shifts and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. I'm sure it has been happening when the other mufler was on but it was just muffled.

I also noticed a performance diffrence. It definatly feel like the turbo can spool/breath better than before. It feels like I gained a few HP because the car will brake the fronts loose easyer than before
Now with the new I/C pipes and the mufler its just a lagless turbo beast. The turbo feels like an extension of my rite foot

Mike
98sentraSE Turbo
01 sentra GXE

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
yeah, I'm 2.5" to the GReddy catback (no CAT) and I guess its 2" all the way back. Mine backfires ALL the time when I run it hard. Does anyone know if this is a problem or just an anomale?

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Hey Mike, FWIW... if you can ever do it, go to all 3" exhaust components. The difference is unbelievable. As solid proof, I dynoed my completely stock DET (in my NX2000... same DET as yours) and it made 194 to the wheels (about 230 crank HP). This is at stock boost, 6.5 psi! I gained around 30 HP just because of the 3" exhaust system. 2.5" is still quite a bit too restrictive for a good turbo setup like yours.

Are there any dynos in your area? Maybe you can do some before/after stuff, that would be cool.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
I'd like to go 3" also. The only thing is I can't find a fabricator who dosen't charge an arm and a leg to do it. Up here in NH it an oddity to have mandrell bends! Especialy on a import car that *only has 4 cylinders*< hick voice on here
. I just might go out and buy a bunch of 3" mandrell J's and go to town with my brother and his crazy tool shop.

Mike
"Gosselin Racing's 98 Sentra Turbo"

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
I hear you about the hick voice... it must be fun going to NE Dragway... last time I was there, I think there were 15 or so imports and 50 or 60 domestics. The only reason there were so many imports is because we all went there together.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mike I can hook you up with several shops here in Conn if you feel like driving the three hours or so to come down.

Depending on what you have to spend and what you ultimately want, there are lots of places in the Hartford area that will do 3". One in particular is a SR20DE shop in East Hartford.

Just shoot me an email and let me know.

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
Why not go with a dual exhuast? Either Y-Branched and 2 3-inch side by side or one on either side of the car? Wouldn't this preserve flow yet quiet it down? (plus it would look cool, like the Stillen Turbo car)

'97 200SX SE-R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts