SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I see Mike K on Street Tuner Challenge Driving the 800 hp Skyline. Tough driving a RHD? I'd love to hear his .02 worth on driving something like that with no stopping power.

·
i love b13's !
8,012 Posts
ha, i watched that last night. i didnt even notice it was him but then agian i was back and forth bewteen the comp and tv. 801whp now thats serious. the rest of the cars where pretty lame in my opinion. 179whp on nitrious for the jetta, and 235whp for the cobalt ss. good show though.

stratton.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wasn't that great? I happened to catch the whole thing. That car was serious! He had his hands full with that thing. I was curious as to how much power it was making after they had to do some fuel remapping so it would keep running. He also mentioned it was his first time in a right hand drive car. He was doing well right up until he went sideways into the dirt. lol! What a way to learn!!! So I see that on tv last night and today I see he's also mentioned in this issue of Grassroots Motorsports magazine.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
narcotix said:
The "stranger" hand got missed by the editors. ;)
hehehehheheh..... And yes, that was Mike Kojima. As badass as the Skyline was, the Cobalt whooped its butt in the time attack. Given more time, XS certainly could've gotten the Skyline to go much faster, but that's what happens when you don't have time to test.

I noticed the Dog car too!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts

This was my response to some guy on my 350z.com that was flaming me for being an idiot.

Ok I was the idiot driving the Skyline and let me expalin a few issues to why we did so poorly.

1. Although I am a decent driver, I am not super duper driver, I am more known as a development driver rather than a hotshoe although I do win races and get pole positions occasionaly. I am a driving instructor and teach people how to race. I do ocasisionaly do suspension and other track testing as part of my job as an engineer. Most of the time I race FWD cars under 250 whp or RWD cars under 420 hp. I have never raced a 4WD car. I do have a 575 whp street Z but dislike it beause its sorta hard to drive. 800 hp is very intimidating and scary to me.

2. Tarzan Yamada who is probably 10x better than me and is an experianced GTR driver was supposed to drive the car for the show but he had some important last minute comitments in Japan, like driving a JGTC car or something minor like that . Eric asked me at the last minute and I didnt want to do it as I didnt feel qualifed to do well, but he had no other choice so I did it to help him out. I had never driven a RHD car for more than a few minutes before.

3. The car ran for the first time at about 1am that morning. It had never driven before and never had been tested nor sorted. The suspension was totaly not aligned or set up and the car was resting on the bumpstops, not good for handling. The car severly understeered because of this and you had to force it to oversteer and turn by using the 800 hp to drift it around, not a fast or effiecnt way to corner. The dyno segment you saw was actualy about 2 weeks after the time attack.

4. The car had a drag racing fuel cell installed in it with no surge tank or baffling. Thus the car had fuel starvation issues in the turns. Remember I said the car understeered and I had to throttle oversteer to get it to turn? Guess what would happen, the motor would crap out and the car wanted to spin. This was sorta distracting and made a hard car to drive even harder.

5. The most important issue, the car unbeknown to XS, had worn wheel bearing because an R32 is a pretty old car. This was causing wheel and rotor wobble which would punch the brake pistons way into the calipers. Thus when I went to brake, the pedal would go to the floor. Ever drive an 800 hp car with no brakes? I recomended every internet driving expert to try and see if they could do well with this situation. I would try to pump the brakes to keep them working inbetween shifts and holding on for dear life. I'd like to even see Tarzan deal with this and run super well.

6. When I spun the diff overheated and partialy seized up, locking the rear tires and sending me into a spin. The huge tires and the 800 hp caused the LSD to work overtime. This car need a diff cooler big time. I could feel the rear end binding and knowing the value of this car, I decided to abort the run.

All of the problems were discussed during the show so whoever probably was not even listening. XS did a great job of building the car. It is a beautiful car. The motor was flawless and had amazing power. It would spin all 4 wheels and throw you hard into the seat. You can't blame them for anything. Every new race car has teething issues and this car RAN FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT MORNING!

If we had just a little time to sort the car, fix the brakes, add a surge tank, align and corner balance the suspension, set up and adjust things to find the right suspension settings, bar rates and spring rates we would have done many times better. If I had just a little seat time to practice. We would have easily won. Heck add a better driver too. Wait until the Super Street Time Attack with the problems fixed and Tarzan driving.

Also 2:05 around buttonwillow is still decently fast for a quasi race car. The GM car was a full on race car faster than the Sparco EVO or the winning Turner Motorsports SpeedWorld Challange M3 with no rewards weight in it. Yes that fast!

I guess if this guy says I am an idiot, I got a lot to learn from him, can you teach me how to drive a 800 whp brakeless bogging, ill handling beast with no practice? I am all ears . I do admit that I suck but I'd like to see this guy do better!

·
Whut?That Ain't No Hondah
2,558 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
This was my response to some guy on my 350z.com that was flaming me for being an idiot.
Ok I was the idiot driving the Skyline and let me expalin a few issues to why we did so poorly.
1. Although I am a decent driver, I am not super duper driver, I am more known as a development driver rather than a hotshoe although I do win races and get pole positions occasionaly. I am a driving instructor and teach people how to race. I do ocasisionaly do suspension and other track testing as part of my job as an engineer. Most of the time I race FWD cars under 250 whp or RWD cars under 420 hp. I have never raced a 4WD car. I do have a 575 whp street Z but dislike it beause its sorta hard to drive. 800 hp is very intimidating and scary to me.
2. Tarzan Yamada who is probably 10x better than me and is an experianced GTR driver was supposed to drive the car for the show but he had some important last minute comitments in Japan, like driving a JGTC car or something minor like that . Eric asked me at the last minute and I didnt want to do it as I didnt feel qualifed to do well, but he had no other choice so I did it to help him out. I had never driven a RHD car for more than a few minutes before.
3. The car ran for the first time at about 1am that morning. It had never driven before and never had been tested nor sorted. The suspension was totaly not aligned or set up and the car was resting on the bumpstops, not good for handling. The car severly understeered because of this and you had to force it to oversteer and turn by using the 800 hp to drift it around, not a fast or effiecnt way to corner. The dyno segment you saw was actualy about 2 weeks after the time attack.
4. The car had a drag racing fuel cell installed in it with no surge tank or baffling. Thus the car had fuel starvation issues in the turns. Remember I said the car understeered and I had to throttle oversteer to get it to turn? Guess what would happen, the motor would crap out and the car wanted to spin. This was sorta distracting and made a hard car to drive even harder.
5. The most important issue, the car unbeknown to XS, had worn wheel bearing because an R32 is a pretty old car. This was causing wheel and rotor wobble which would punch the brake pistons way into the calipers. Thus when I went to brake, the pedal would go to the floor. Ever drive an 800 hp car with no brakes? I recomended every internet driving expert to try and see if they could do well with this situation. I would try to pump the brakes to keep them working inbetween shifts and holding on for dear life. I'd like to even see Tarzan deal with this and run super well.
6. When I spun the diff overheated and partialy seized up, locking the rear tires and sending me into a spin. The huge tires and the 800 hp caused the LSD to work overtime. This car need a diff cooler big time. I could feel the rear end binding and knowing the value of this car, I decided to abort the run.
All of the problems were discussed during the show so whoever probably was not even listening. XS did a great job of building the car. It is a beautiful car. The motor was flawless and had amazing power. It would spin all 4 wheels and throw you hard into the seat. You can't blame them for anything. Every new race car has teething issues and this car RAN FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT MORNING!
If we had just a little time to sort the car, fix the brakes, add a surge tank, align and corner balance the suspension, set up and adjust things to find the right suspension settings, bar rates and spring rates we would have done many times better. If I had just a little seat time to practice. We would have easily won. Heck add a better driver too. Wait until the Super Street Time Attack with the problems fixed and Tarzan driving.
Also 2:05 around buttonwillow is still decently fast for a quasi race car. The GM car was a full on race car faster than the Sparco EVO or the winning Turner Motorsports SpeedWorld Challange M3 with no rewards weight in it. Yes that fast!
I guess if this guy says I am an idiot, I got a lot to learn from him, can you teach me how to drive a 800 whp brakeless bogging, ill handling beast with no practice? I am all ears . I do admit that I suck but I'd like to see this guy do better!
Total Amateur....But seriously, wish I had seen the show hopefuly I can catch a rerun on the TV sometime. :biggthump

·
Monkey Power
1,105 Posts
I saw the show. Its hard to drive a rhd drive car especially for the first time. you get disoriented from being on the wrong side of the car. I would agree with mike shifting with the "stranger hand" is odd even if the shift pattern is the same as a lhd car. I though he did a good job considering what he had to work with. As a side note the show even said mike was not the normal driver for the car.

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
To those of you doubting Mike... The first time I rode with him in a car on the track we were in a rental AUTOMATIC plain jane Ford Focus. It was a roller coaster of a ride. I never knew you could be thrown around so much in ANY car unless you were flipping in an accident not to mention it was a horrible unmodified family econobox. This was with THREE not so small guys in the car!

Earlier that day Brad Woodworth had also rode with Mike in that car and was dry heaving doubled over after riding in the back seat after one session.. hehe I'll never forget the look on Brad's face when he warned me just before sitting back there.

Oh yeah, we actually passed a Mitsu Eclipse on the track and also gave Rob Cadle a run for his money in his Classic in the Focus.

·
Registered
496 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
I can't believe you took the time to explain anything to Mr. "almighty" 350z guy. The only thing he probably corners is the McDonalds drive in window in his track worthy :rolleyes: 350z.

·
The Serbaninator
3,241 Posts
damn! I missed all the good tv last night.

That would've been great to catch.

Glad to hear you had fun at least, Mike. I watched the build up, and wondered how that jetta would do.

I thought they threw a turbo kit on it? Did they ditch that last minute or something? I remember in the build up they threw a turbo on it. Oh well...it was weaksauce and I knew it wouldn't win.

Had my hopes up for the skyline though. Too bad the suspension wasn't at least partially adjusted!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
chimmike said:
damn! I missed all the good tv last night.
That would've been great to catch.
Glad to hear you had fun at least, Mike. I watched the build up, and wondered how that jetta would do.
I thought they threw a turbo kit on it? Did they ditch that last minute or something? I remember in the build up they threw a turbo on it. Oh well...it was weaksauce and I knew it wouldn't win.
Had my hopes up for the skyline though. Too bad the suspension wasn't at least partially adjusted!
It was more the brakes that was the hardest thing to deal with.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Were you the one driving the stock cobalt? If that was you, the one shot I saw you were driving that thing pretty hard. I can't imagine how hard it would be to drive an unsorted car with no testing, RHD, AWD, and 800 hp for the fist time. Especially with no brakes. At least you beat the Jetta:) Saw the dogcar too. Love to see the the Skyline all sorted out and make an appearance in the SCC challenge.

·
Mr. Grumpypants
1,277 Posts
Ray told me about this last night... sorry I missed it! Mike, even if you're not the best driver, you absolutely know what the car is doing and how it feels. I remember when you got out of Mike Pahls' car and told him what to adjust. He adjusted it, got back on the track, and came back in with a ****-eating grin :)

Too bad that 575whp Z is never running when I'm out there :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts