SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: Anybody gone from the famous "airbox conversion" (K&N filter in the top of the stock airbox w/no bottom) to a POP Charger or CAI??? Where I live there is a definite rainy season and the streets aren't too good (lots of potholes and pooled water,) so I am thinking I should stay away from a CAI (although I did have a rigged setup on a 5.0 once through the foglight hole that worked rather well, however the tubing was rather long- longer than on a CAI for a SR20DE...)anyway what do y'all think??? Also, anybody go from 15 degrees to 17 degrees timing??? Is it worth the $$$ in gas??? Thanks for replies :> )- TOBY

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Go with the CAI definately. The filter is protected by your bumper and splash guard. You can always get the AEM bypass valve (40 bucks or so) and you will be totally protected.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have always said go with the CAI too but.... In the case of the NX I have heard that the CAI is not the best as you do not ge any air flow into your filter. I would say go with the JWT POP intake.

------------------
MarC

hood made transparent for your viewing pleasure http://members.home.net/mnmanderson/Publish/
AIM SER96MarC

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Im still not sold on that bypass valve. Because when they raised the filter the air sloshed around, so what happens when you get say 50cc of water in there, not enough to inpead the air flow and open the valves but enough to blow a cylinder? Yea if you dunk the filter in a huge puddle it will work since it sucks up enough water to create enough vacum to pull open the vlave. But say a cup of water gets pulled past the filter when you splash it... Not enough there to fill the entire pipe and heavy enough to keep from going up the pipe therefor opening the valve. See what I mean. Its not the huge puddles you will see everyday...

But Ben has dynoed the "Ghetto air box" and it works. Works well actualy. Think he picked up a few hp out of it, totaly free, given that you already have the K&N. The POP, well its pretty thats for sure. The "ghetto" works tho, and there has been calculations done to show that the panal has enough surface area to give the engine enough air. CAI...good power nice growl too. If you are paranoid dont get it. Its worth a few more hp on top of the "ghetto" or pop but if you are the type that worry all the time probaly not worth it. IMHO.

As for the timing, if you dont like buying 93, dont go past 15. Just set it on a good hard high 15 and thats it. Ive got mine on 15 and I cant complain. I buy mid grade just out of being nice to the car, IMHO. They always say putting timing to 17 is free hp...but its not. Consider every time you fill up you are getting hit for an extra 2 to 10 bucks. Then you here on here with people saying go to 19...there isnt much past 17 but throttle response. 17 will give you say 1 or 2 hp maybe. But little better throttle response. Since my car is a highway cruser, my only trasnportaion, and does no racing i didnt see the need to go to 17

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
8,148 Posts
I built a Cai pipe where the filter does not go down into the fender but stays behind the battery. It still draws cold air. The pipe is cold to the touch after a quick Highway romp. And Yes, I was the first to post on the SE-R mailing list that it does not work well on the NX2000. I found my top end to be chocked. This new set up is great and can be duplicated by anyone with time and imagination.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Pretty White, you sound like a fellow low-buck modifier kinda guy... could you give me a quick overview of the "best" mods you have done for the money, and how you did it??? I have been kicking around several ideas about a CAI, but have read a lot of archives, etc... saying if the pipes aren't the correct length it won't work or will lose HP. Anyway, thanks for any info you can give me, and if you want, e-mail me (my address is in the profile.) THANKS- TOBY :> )-
'93 Charcoal (flaking off) NX 2k w/Redline MT90,Ghetto Airbox, 15 degree timing, Courtesy STB, ES Dogbone insert and new Pass. side mount (OE), new rear mount w/ES inserts coming soon.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to add that anyone else with low-buck suggestions feel free to yell at me; I am open to any suggestions!!! Also, of those of you that have AGX's, are they as great as I've heard??? I am wanting a set pretty bad, but are wondering if I can just do the front first and then the back later (when I have more cash???......) Thanks, TOBY
'93 NX 2k wanting AGX's, Nitrous, and a header....................................

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Subculture:
...I have heard that the CAI is not the best as you do not ge any air flow into your filter.</font>
Not true. A CAI works as good on a NX as it does on either a "Classic" or a 200SX SE-R.

How when there is no airflow to the filter? You are a NX owner, where does air flow to the filter? I have heard of cars that have lost HP on the dyno (NX2000's) with it. I know I felt the difference up top.

·
8,148 Posts
Originally posted by NXDude:
Hey Pretty White, you sound like a fellow low-buck modifier kinda guy... could you give me a quick overview of the "best" mods you have done for the money, and how you did it??? I have been kicking around several ideas about a CAI, but have read a lot of archives, etc... saying if the pipes aren't the correct length it won't work or will lose HP. Anyway, thanks for any info you can give me, and if you want, e-mail me (my address is in the profile.) THANKS- TOBY :> )-

I was on Vacation and was bored so i thought up of a Cai to make. I hated taking the pipe up everytime it rained and swapping filters (My wife hated it even more) to avoid hydrolock. Besides I hated the top end feel too. I have a lot of time to think when I am at work so I decided to "try a thing." I was always told that the power came fron the length of the pipe. So i just bought a 90degree elbow and a straight 3" pipe and got creative. I just got lucky I guess. I found the smallest K&N I could fit behind the battery (after all the pipe is sucking the air, not the filter, right?). You could do it too. It was easy. I posted about an exhaust I think on the timing section of the forum. Check it out. I did a lot of exhausts till I was happy. Read it and tell me what you think. Mind you this was pre-daughter/marriage days. :> )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pretty White,
Thanks for the reply... I'm looking into the Ultraflow, and think I will get one soon (2 or 2 1/4 inch); I will probably get the muffler first, and do the mid-pipe later. I have heard good things about the Ultraflow, it flows ALOT better than most hi-perf. mufflers, and I know of a race team that uses them on their SCCA cars.
How did you hook the pipe to the MAF??? I have been thinking of making an adapter to bolt on where the airbox is out of a peice of 1/8 sheet metal with a 3 inch peice of pipe welded to it, to attach a filter to. I guess I could attach the pipe to the adapter and put the filter on the end..??? Did you mount your filter at the end of the pipe, or in the middle (or even at the MAF???)Thanks for a reply...
TOBY in Mo.- soon to be California for VACATION!!! YAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYYAYA!!!!
'93 NX 2k w/hopefully an Ultraflow and Ghetto CAI soon!!!

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NXDude:
Pretty White,
Thanks for the reply... I'm looking into the Ultraflow, and think I will get one soon (2 or 2 1/4 inch); I will probably get the muffler first, and do the mid-pipe later. I have heard good things about the Ultraflow, it flows ALOT better than most hi-perf. mufflers, and I know of a race team that uses them on their SCCA cars.
How did you hook the pipe to the MAF??? I have been thinking of making an adapter to bolt on where the airbox is out of a peice of 1/8 sheet metal with a 3 inch peice of pipe welded to it, to attach a filter to. I guess I could attach the pipe to the adapter and put the filter on the end..??? Did you mount your filter at the end of the pipe, or in the middle (or even at the MAF???)Thanks for a reply...
TOBY in Mo.- soon to be California for VACATION!!! YAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYYAYA!!!!
'93 NX 2k w/hopefully an Ultraflow and Ghetto CAI soon!!!
</font>
Adapters. Hmmm. At first I bought a generic MAF adapter. The hole was smaller than the MAF hole, so I sold it and bought one from Hotshot. ($25.00) I would suggest getting the HKS one. It is not painted like the Hotshot and it is brushed aluminum and it is port matched. Place Racing used to sell nice pieces but i heard they are painted black now too. I used a 3.5-3" reducer and cut it down to size to make a filter adapter. (The K&N filter opening was 3.5") The bends were the easy parts. Just buy the parts i suggested before and guy a saw and a pencil and mark and cut and mark and cut and mark and cut etc. My friend kenny at Mieneke welded it for me. I had it powder coated.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">How when there is no airflow to the filter?</font>
Huh?
The filter is behind the fenderwell liner. Not in an enclosed box.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> You are a NX owner, where does air flow to the filter?</font>
CAI's don't need direct airflow in order to work. CAI's make HP because of "resonance effect".

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have heard of cars that have lost HP on the dyno (NX2000's) with it.</font>
Really? Who's car? Who's Dyno?
My car gained HP with my CAI.

[This message has been edited by Subculture (edited 04-06-2001).]

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

This picture shows my CAI installed on my NX. The fenderwell liner has been pulled back in order to show the filter. The liner doesn't restrict air from getting to the CAI. And it does a good job of keeping water from getting into the CAI. I've had my CAI for over a year,and I have experienced no problems with Hydrolock.

Now if you live in an area,where you experience huge puddles whenever it rains hard,you can always "short stack",remove the bottom elbow,untill the end of the rainy season.

·
8,148 Posts

This picture shows my CAI installed on my NX. The fenderwell liner has been pulled back in order to show the filter. The liner doesn't restrict air from getting to the CAI. And it does a good job of keeping water from getting into the CAI. I've had my CAI for over a year,and I have experienced no problems with Hydrolock.

Now if you live in an area,where you experience huge puddles whenever it rains hard,you can always "short stack",remove the bottom elbow,untill the end of the rainy season.
</font>
Thge reason I post this is because a few guys on the mailing lists including me found that the car actually felt choked up top with the CAi. The NX2000 has no cut out for airflow to the filter. The SE-R and 200SX does. Behind the foglamps on a stock spoilered NX is almost a dead wall. Air just seems to flow under and around the the filter in the fender. I think Lee K said it created like a vaccum there. I am going to E-mail Ray Kawaski now. he was the one who told me who's car was dynoed and lost HP.
>>http://www.se-r-list.org/archives/1998/1998-08/msg00445.html
<<
This was 3 years ago I posted this. I remember when Shell e-mailed me. But he has a SE-R.
I am not saying it is impossible, to gain HP on a NX with it. It just didn't help me and a few others. But then we could be doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Thge reason I post this is because a few guys on the mailing lists including me found that the car actually felt choked up top with the CAi. The NX2000 has no cut out for airflow to the filter. The SE-R and 200SX does. Behind the foglamps on a stock spoilered NX is almost a dead wall.</font>
I know what you're talking about. I removed the OE fog lights,which I never really cared for,to let in some more air. I suppose I could get a hole saw,and remove a bit of metal to let in more air. But other than SOTP,there wouldn't be anyway of knowing if there's any real benefit.

When I installed my CAI,about a year ago,the car seemed to pull much harder. Even on top.
Hmm,which CAI were you guys using?

------------------
Thomas Fox
'93 NX2000
www.geocities.com/subcltr_nx2000/Homepage.html

·
8,148 Posts
I know what you're talking about. I removed the OE fog lights,which I never really cared for,to let in some more air. I suppose I could get a hole saw,and remove a bit of metal to let in more air. But other than SOTP,there wouldn't be anyway of knowing if there's any real benefit.

When I installed my CAI,about a year ago,the car seemed to pull much harder. Even on top.
Hmm,which CAI were you guys using?

</font>
The Place Racing intake. AEM promises that their intake will make more power than any CAi out there. You know what, I believe it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I say go with the CAI, cuz it might give you up to 20 HP!!!!1 hahahaha...j/k, anybody been in the classic forum lately! You would know where that came from!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CAI... i tried the factory box w/ K&N dropin and a nice long flexable intake toob. That was nice. Then I tried the JWT POP charger. Good. I ended up with a custome heat shield I made from an aluminium sheet from Ace hardware and a Blitz SS filter. To get the cold air up ther I ran 2 small black intake toobs from the front past the headlight and one through the old Resonance box. Works well and keeps things pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts