SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. So I popped one rocker off the exhaust cam for cylinder 3. With the valve cover off, should I still have compression in each cylinder???

I'm guessing no but it's still scary when the only cylinders that hold compressed air looked clean from the start...

------------------
Chad Kelly
[email protected]

·
Registered
705 Posts
No, because some valves are open and some are closed.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IF THE ROCKER ARM IS NOT JAMMED AS TO KEEP THE EXHAUST VALVES OPEN ALL THE TIME (I CAN'T SEE HOW THAT WOULD BE PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE), THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE COMPRESSION IN ALL FOUR CYLINDERS. REMEMBER THE ROCKER ARM IS NO LONGER ACTUATING THE EXHAUST VALVES SO DURING TDC ON COMPRESSION STROKE ALL FOUR VALVES ARE CLOSED AND YOUR ENGINE SHOULD HAVE COMPRESSION. IF IT DOESN'T THEN YOU EITHER HAVE BENT VALVES OR A JAMMED ROCKER ARM.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all of your help. I was just kinda "blonde" whenever I wrote that first post. The "compression test" that I was doing was to test each cylinder for its ability to hold compressed air. I realize now that with the valve cover off, the only cylinder that could hold air was the one that would be "firing" at that exact instant in the timing. No big thing... Thanks anyways...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts