SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, here goes.

Stay with me here. When I turn to left, I get a "thumping" sound that feels like it's coming from the right front (under load). The harder the turn, the louder the thump, and it's frequency is directly proportional to speed. Axle on that side is very fresh (4 months). Sounds like a bearing.

When I turn to the right, I get a roaring sound that sounds like it's coming from the left rear (loaded side). Gets louder under tighter higher load turns.

Wheel/tire combo doesn't seem to affect these noises, so I'm sure it's not a tire out of balance. I'm thinking bearings. Hell, I just complete track weekend #41 on the car, so I am not one bit surprised if the bearings are shot.

So, should I replace the entire hub or just the bearings? Do new hubs come with bearings? I'll wager I'll need a shop to remove/install the new bearings with a press, right??

Matt

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone else want to contribute??

Prices for bearings at Advance Auto are $32 for the front and $50something for the rears. Good price or just get OE Nissan ones? I can't complain about 41 track events and hundreds of auto-x runs on the original pieces....

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
The Advance bearings are pretty beefy. IIRC they are Federal Mogul. Just one comment though, I had the exact same problem on my se-r a few years back and it turned out to be the driver's side axle. My axle was fresh just like yours too, I chalked it up to a poor rebuild.

Just replace the bearing if your gonna do it, not the whole hub. Just remove the hub and take it to a machine shop with the new bearing and seals, they shouldn't have a problem with it. On my G20 when replacing a bearing one of the old journals had welded itself to the hub and I had to replace the whole hub ($40 from a junkyard), but I think thats pretty rare.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Calum said:
The Advance bearings are pretty beefy. IIRC they are Federal Mogul. Just one comment though, I had the exact same problem on my se-r a few years back and it turned out to be the driver's side axle. My axle was fresh just like yours too, I chalked it up to a poor rebuild.

Just replace the bearing if your gonna do it, not the whole hub. Just remove the hub and take it to a machine shop with the new bearing and seals, they shouldn't have a problem with it. On my G20 when replacing a bearing one of the old journals had welded itself to the hub and I had to replace the whole hub ($40 from a junkyard), but I think thats pretty rare.

Calum, remember, yours was an inch longer than it should have been.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll give them a shot (the Advance bearings). I'm going to go ahead and do all 4 bearings. I learned a long time ago that if somthing breaks/wears out, it's twin on the other side of the car isn't far behind....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.