SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is great. It has to be either a fuel or spark issue would be my guess. The car was running pretty good on my one test run yesterday. Of course I put insurance back on it and go for a drive today and now I get a loss of power/hesitation in throttle response. It's so bad it's unsafe. It seems to mostly be a problem at partial throttle, but the car still doesn't feel as responsive at WOT either. I just don't noticed the hesitation at WOT nearly as much.

Here's what I've done so far...

1) Checked all the spark plug connections (I used the NGK plugs and OEM wires from my old engine which worked good 6 mos ago)
2) Changed out the cap and rotor in favor for my old engine
3) Changed the fuel filter

No luck still. I'm thinking of changing out the ignition coil from my old engine as well. If that doesn't work...maybe swap out the fuel rail + injectors.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

·
"The Chubby Panda"
1,483 Posts
when I did my change, it was a timing issue. might not be in your case, but well worth the time to check.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when I did my change, it was a timing issue. might not be in your case, but well worth the time to check.
I'm going to get it checked out tomorrow at a shop with a scan tool. I thought about changing out the TPS sensor and then maybe the ignition coil for the heck of it first since I have the parts off the old engine still.

·
"The Chubby Panda"
1,483 Posts
Perhaps I'm spewing useless stuff, but I think an improperly grounded maf might help too if you haven't done so already.

·
Canyon_Boogie
6,667 Posts
Check all your grounds. Check injectors, unplug one at a time and listen for a momentary dip in the idle. Wouldnt hurt to go over the vac lines also.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump...I'm still having problems. :confused: The biggest issue I'm facing is at partial throttle. I'm getting a massive hesitation and loss of power. It's as if I completely let off the throttle and then hit it again. It's not safe to even drive right now. At this point I either think it could be one of the following.

1) Bad injector or injectors (I can always swap it out from my other engine)
2) TPS. I actually thought it was this initially and swapped it out from my other engine. So how do I set it properly if it just needs an adjustment?
3) Bad plug wires
4) Timing? I haven't checked this yet because I don't have a timing gun.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Knock sensor, Been reading alot about this little sensor in a lot of posts lately

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I had the day off today and so I thought I'd try to figure it out. First I swapped out the coil with no luck. Next up was trying plug wires from another engine I had and no dice.

Lastly I decided to swap out the entire fuel rail (including injectors) from my previous engine with ran very well until it started knocking. It turns out that's exactly what it was. The car is running MUCH better. I can cruise in 2nd gear, mash the throttle and it will spin the crappy all seasons. :rofl: :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wrong. Problem is still there so I'm bumping my old thread for more assistance. I got the car out of the garage. Swapped in brand new plugs and OEM wires. It runs smoother, but I still have that partial throttle issue. Next up is possibly a MAF or TPS. Any other thoughts? I could try a different knock sensor like suggested.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bitch is FIXED!!! Toolapcfan came over today and brought his voltage tester and manual. We checked the TPS voltage and it was way low. We adjusted it and now it runs great. :biggthump Thanks Rob! :jammin: Thankfully it was something simple.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts