SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out. I supeimposed a Type R dyno chart against my latest dyno. Who said an SE-R cannot make more power than a Type R with bolt-ons

http://www.geocities.com/ndahi12/ser_typer.htm

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
163 hp, 124 lb-ft torque
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

[This message has been edited by nj1266 (edited 10-13-2001).]

·
Registered
850 Posts
Where is the pic?

------------------
87 Nissan Maxima auto: Dead after 40 miles :(
Best ET: 1/8 10.393 @ 68.46
1/4 16.3125 @ 80.86
Dynoed: 123hp/153lb-ft with CAI only

91 Nissan Sentra SE-R: KYB AGX's, eibachs, ES motor/torque mounts, ES suspension bushings, addco RSB, intake, 200sx SE-R rims, shift light,
Best ET: 15.644 @ 87.26

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that. I fixed it. Click on the link in the first post.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
163 hp, 124 lb-ft torque

·
Registered
189 Posts
That is a REALLY low dyno for a Type R. A lot of '01's are dynoing close to 170whp...

very nice results though

do you have any 1/4 mile times?

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">That Type R chart does seem conservative to me. Most I have seen are in the low to mid 160 range. even so your charts are damn impressive.[/B]</font>
Actually it is right within the range of the Type R charts that I saw; 156-164 hp. I saw some 163-164, but the temp on the sheet read 64 degrees. I also did not know what gear they made the pull in. This one had the closest temp and the pull was in 3rd gear. So I used it

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
163 hp, 124 lb-ft torque

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
Most Type R's are in the 160 range... 170 range with I/H/E.... add cams, ecu and JDM pistons and they hit 200....

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some links to type R dyno runs. They do vary a lot by car. The one that I used was the only one that had temps close to my dyno temps and was done in 3rd gear. That is why I used it.

http://www.geocities.com/dynocenter/00R_mmod_stock.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/dynocenter/98R_dponze_run3n4.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/dynocenter/98R_dponze1n2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/dynocenter/98R_jboyer.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/dynocenter/98R_rafal_1n6.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/dynocenter/gkawano_stock.gif

[This message has been edited by nj1266 (edited 10-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by nj1266 (edited 10-14-2001).]

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
I should email you my brothers GTI VR6 charts for you to overlay. With 268 cams, chip, WAI, and catback he is making 171hp and 165tq. He averages 150+ torque throughout his entire power band.

That Type R chart does seem conservative to me. Most I have seen are in the low to mid 160 range. even so your charts are damn impressive.

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nj1266:
Here are some links to type R dyno runs. They do vary a lot by car. The one that I used was the only one that had temps close to my dyno temps and was done in 3rd gear. That is why I used it.
).]
</font>
I understand completely. Most ITR dyno's I have seen are 4th gear runs. It is a fair comparison. Just throw some Toda spec C's and some dyno tuning at that ITR and it would be close to 190whp. Not much more torque though.

I think the variation in the ITR dyno's has to do with the hand building of the engine. One person may do a more thorough job porting than the builder next to him.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I understand completely. Most ITR dyno's I have seen are 4th gear runs. It is a fair comparison. Just throw some Toda spec C's and some dyno tuning at that ITR and it would be close to 190whp. Not much more torque though.</font>
It is pretty sad that we need all bolt-ons and C3 cams just to barely make more power than a stock ITR

But hey our cars are much cheaper. Back in 98 I bought my SE-R for 14.4K. The Type R was selling for about 24-25K. For 10K difference you can build an SE-R that is a type R killer. Mine would fall into that category.

suspension=2800
cams=1200
sawy bars=180
CAI=200
Header=325
Pulleys=230
Quaife=740
Tranny work=1357
Exhaust=430
Bushings & mounts=162
Short shifter=88
Total=7712

And you will still have almost $2300 to spare.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think the variation in the ITR dyno's has to do with the hand building of the engine. One person may do a more thorough job porting than the builder next to him.</font>
That is what I have been told as well.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
163 hp, 124 lb-ft torque

·
Registered
21 Posts
So, an sr20de owner, having C3-ed his SE-R, ultimately ends up w/ a high-revving machine, in the manner of Civic Si's and GS-R's and Type-R's? Would it be safe to say, then, that in so doing, the SE-R gives up its raison d'etre, w/c is not having to rev the whee out of the engine to get your kicks?In the quest for hp through C-cams, does the SE-R, in effect, become its antithesis?
...just food for thought:)

·
Registered
513 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 94loport:
So, an sr20de owner, having C3-ed his SE-R, ultimately ends up w/ a high-revving machine, in the manner of Civic Si's and GS-R's and Type-R's? Would it be safe to say, then, that in so doing, the SE-R gives up its raison d'etre, w/c is not having to rev the whee out of the engine to get your kicks?In the quest for hp through C-cams, does the SE-R, in effect, become its antithesis?
</font>
You know I was just thinking this myself. It's a very good point. That is why I'm trying to stick to improving the curve all around. I feel like that improves on the reasons that I like the engine to begin with.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 94loport:
</font>
I have two things to say:

First, The car has NOT been fully tuned yet. If you look at Rob's dyno charts after fully tuning the car, he ended up with 130 lb/ft of torque and 170 hp. There is no Civic Si, GSR, or Type R stock that has such torque. None. Even with bolt-ons the above mentioned poweplants cannot get that much torque. Mike Yepes's great hatch with a GSR tranplant, ITR cams, Header and CAI only managed 125 lb-ft of torque.

Second, if you closely examine the dyno charts of the Type R and my car you will see that the mid range of the SE-R is by far better than the Type R. Only at the very top end does the Type R catch up to the SE-R. Maximum hp and torque gain is 21.31 hp and 24.21 lb-ft of torque at 5000 rpm over the Type R. Average gain is 12.4 hp and 12.17 lb-ft of torque from 3500 all the way to the 7800 redline.

You cannot say that the SE-R lost its reason for existence. The engine still has a lot of torque. True it does lose at the bottom end over the stock SE-R, but who cares about bottom end when you are racing. As long as the gains are above 5K, then it is fine by me. If you want more low end power at the expense of top end power, then get the C1 cams.

The car is very much driveable on a daily basis. You can still cruise in 3rd gear at low speeds and then push the gas and the car picks up.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
163 hp, 124 lb-ft torque

·
Registered
95 Posts
HEY!

Nice HP!

That's my goal: to get my Sentra faster and handling better than my stock 2000 Type R.... Then when I get to that point, I Will start building the R to beat the sentra... the never ending loop!

~Neeraj

------------------
1994 SE-R red (Cat-back and HS CAI)
2000 Integra R Black (Cat-back and Vtec...that's enough!)
Both: Faster than Driven97
ooooooooooh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts