SR20 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends-
I have a 1993 NX2000 with a custom-made mandrel-bent piping and an AROSPEED BOMB muffler. (The one that comes with the removable baffle). My question to you all is: if my car is barely modded at all, will such an open exhaust cause a loss of power? I put the baffle in the exhaust and notice an increase in power, especially low-end. Experiences???
Thank you...
Steve, NX2K w/cat-back, K&N filter, 17deg. advanced timing, and cosmetic mods.

G

·
i could answer this, but i don't know enough.

the best thing that i can say is that more backpressure helps you out in the low end, but fux you up in the high end...

i'm sure with that kinda response somebody who actually knows something will give you a better description.

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
Ok it has to do with flow rates and scavenging. I'm not an expert on this by any means. But like anything on a car it's all about comprimse. On my racer I run a 2 1/4 exhaust to keep some torque and a free flow muffler. With the silencer in place you're creating the backpressure but it will be a restriction at higher revs. This is probably a good street setup.

Blair

G

·
Yeah Ive got a 93NX and I just bought the same kind of muffler. It does give you better low end torque when you have the baffle instlled, and it quiets it down quite a bit too.Has a real deep tone when idling without the baffle and a little bit boomy around town. I kept my b pipe at stock diameter. What size b pipe did you go with joker? Another good thng about the baffle is that my wife can drive the car without bitching!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a custom-made 2.25" pipe going from the catalytic converter to the muffler. (is that the "b-pipe"?).

Anyway, I noticed this weekend when trying to race someone on the highway that top-end power is AWFUL!!!
My engine was like "help I can't breathe!!"...
Anyway...it'd be neat to design a muffler with a baffle that is closed at lower RPM's, but, with a spring mechanism, will open as the PSI builds in the pipe under heavy acceleration.
Thoughts?
-Steve. NX2K w/stuff.

G

·
Mazda developed a muffler like that back on the like 92-94 929. Take a look at the muffler if you ever see one of these cars.

·
Registered
287 Posts
About the muffler with the baffle that opens and shuts, in the new SCC they are saying that the 2002 Se-r spec v will have one. it would seem that nissan seems to know what there doing with this car... kind of not sure about the 6100 redline thought.
L8er
Dan

·
Registered
254 Posts
Check out the SARD muffler for Supras and MR-2's. It has a patented "plunger tip" that reduces backpressure as the RPM's rise. VERY cool.

CB

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jokergrin:
I had a custom-made 2.25" pipe going from the catalytic converter to the muffler. (is that the "b-pipe"?).

Anyway, I noticed this weekend when trying to race someone on the highway that top-end power is AWFUL!!!
My engine was like "help I can't breathe!!"...
Anyway...it'd be neat to design a muffler with a baffle that is closed at lower RPM's, but, with a spring mechanism, will open as the PSI builds in the pipe under heavy acceleration.
Thoughts?
-Steve. NX2K w/stuff.
</font>
Ok - I know nothing about this product, but saw it today while researchig the custom exhaust system I'm going to build. Only a before and after dyno test would tell us if it works or not. Anyway, here is a spring loaded baffle on an exhaust tip: http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=123925

G

·
Sorry to butt in here, guys- but we're all in the same family... I have a b15SE, and it has that same muffler as the Maxima, so it might fit an NX, too! It really works- you can't feel it, but you know it's working when you open it up. My roomate thought I had Vtec- Duh, but thanx for the compliment.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's cool, Audio1der. Are you the same person who sent out a post on the se-r mailing list? I'm glad you like your exhaust setup...it's a great idea, and I think this is the future of what people will be doing who want the power of open exhaust but not the loud noise at low rpm's.
Very nice.
Steve. nx2k w/mods aforementioned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts