SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody mentioned that the new 6-speed from the b15 SE-R might fit the 91-99 sr20s. Anybody heard whether the 2.5L engine might bolt in?

Let the flames begin...

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Doubt the tranny will bolt up with out some sorta bell housing adapter. Then its a matter of if it will fit. Since the 2.5 is susposaly smaller, the tranny may not fit.

As for the 2.5 bolting in...From the looks of that "spy" pic its going to be a pain. Cause it looks like it uses the mounts from the 1.8 liter engine. I say they did that since there is no more sr20 so why have mounts like the sr. If you look the 'front' mount is sideways with a bar going in the middle. Where our mounts are parralle with the engine with the mount sitting in a flange. I would guess the radiator insulator is like the 1.8 also. Which is just like the 'front' mount, a sideways liquid filled mount.

So what I would guess off hand is if you have a 1.8 2000+ Sentra it will be an easy drop in with the right harness and ecu. Going back into a b13 or b14 will not be as easy, not without some modifcation. Then there is the question of why would you want to put one in. Because there is NO mods for it for quite some time. I dont personaly like the engine cause of the cut balls. It wont be a revvy engine...not to mention stuff like fly by wire and coil on plugs. Stuff that makes it less and less a drivers(or shadetree mechanics) car. One thing I like about my sr20 is the abilty to work on it myself without a consult.

·
Registered
504 Posts
But the SR20 was mounted into a b15 sentra... So it's not possible to use the mounts used for the SR20 to mount the QR?

As to why... Hmmm... I don't know. 180 NA factory HP in a 2400 lb vehicle? Sounds like heaven to me. Even without mods. And there will be mods...

Andy

[This message has been edited by maxQ (edited 05-18-2001).]

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
I dont like the sound of an engine that has a cut around 6500 and if the old sr is any indication thats what it will be. If I want a torque beast(and I do) i will get a Trans Am and will for sure be the type r beater that they talk about. Cost...well a type r around 23,000+, trans am right around that too.

But yea the sr did go in a b15...but that doesnt mean the qr will go back. The mounts are totaly different. Ok so we can fab up something on the fender wells. Then the crossmember problem, no telling where the oil pan and tranny are on that thing. Cable shifter(one sucky thing about it) will fit anywhere. Not sure on clutch, my bet is they will use hydrolic like the G20 so gota retrofit something in there for that. Then the sensor on the pedal, not cable so gota do some fancy work with that. Exhaust, well gota fit that cat behind the radiator also and hope the bottom of the primary lines up somewhat close with the b13 tube since there are no headers.

Oh with enough money anything can be done. But then again, thats a brand new engine with some shitty design things (IMHO) on it. So cost for that engine will be, i would guess, somewhere near 5 digits. for less than half that you can turbo your sr or even drop in a det and then fmax the hell out of that. There is your 180(hell of a lot more if wanted) torque motor. After driving bens stock turbo on stock de thats the most economical way to go. And still hella fast, and dirt cheap.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Wait i see you said NA. Well with bolt ons, little massaging and C2/C3 cams you can get ~170 to the wheels of a sr20... Not as economical as the turbo but still can be done for less money than the engine alone from a new SE(i dont call it an R damn 4 doors)

If i remember rob's mods, HS header(his is 2nd gen so a 3rd or 4th could be a bit better), cam gears, c2/c3 combo cams, CAI, pullies, exhaust, ecu, and a little port matching and smoothing of the intake and exhaust you could get close to those numbers with some tuneing. AT THE WHEELS. Not this 180 at the crank...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, I haven't looked at b15 so I'd have to take your word on the different mounts...

Are you talking about the crossmember in the b13 being a problem? The cable shifter would probably be an issue but is the SR20 tranny in the b15 a hydraulic? And there is no header on a qr? The cats replace the header?!?? THAT will the first thing fixed by the aftermarket.

And there is a lot to be said for FACTORY hp. The closest dyno to me is an hour away and I don't have the time to spend tuning several different combos. As for the turbo, any more than 180 FWD whp is a waste for what I do... so it doesn't seem worth it. I drive my car, so I'd want something that can be done right the first time and not spend the rest of my weekends scratching my head and saying "What if".

Andy

·
Registered
858 Posts
yup!

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Limited Slip:
ive read some an article that the QR engine is actually *smaller* and *lighter* than the sr20de.. can u beleive that?</font>

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Limited Slip:
ive read some an article that the QR engine is actually *smaller* and *lighter* than the sr20de.. can u beleive that?</font>
That's because our engine is sand casted using the lost foam process and the new QR is die cast. Die casting lets you make the tolerances tighter and more accurate as well as saving material (hence the lighter weight). As far as smaller, I don't know how they did that unless it's because it uses less mechanisms and more electronics...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts