SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a '92 NX 2000 and am looking to increase performance. However I am not quite sure where to start. I was thinking of new rims and rubber... I don't have loads of cash and am looking to do small adjustments and / or bolt on parts.

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
Hmmm... which do you want first? for it to be a bit quicker or handle better?

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

G

·
0 Posts
for low buck improvment, you can switch to a 2inch straight through muffler and a 2inch flex pipe. The factory flex pipe is more restrictive them the factory cat. You'll see when you remove the flex pipe. Inner diameter is "MICRO". Nice Pop Charger filter from JWT or a cold air intake is fun. Bump the timing up to max of 19. Need high octane though (92,93). The energy suspension black graphite poly motor mount inserts ($30ish from Summit) really help the launch. Good set of plug wires like Bae-Diing (sold by topspeed out of Texas). Forget NGK wires, they fall apart at 1st tuneup. If your EGR system is not working properly (wow, that never happens on these motors) then you may have to disconnect it to regain power and better emissions "till it's fixed", wink wink. I personaly hate the EGR system as my car would come close to failing the sniffer, even when new, untill I disconnected the EGR. Now it flys through emissions. When you go with wheels and tires, remember that a lighter combo creates less rotational mass and thus a quicker car, better braking and less unsprung weight. Enjoy the ride bloke.

G

·
0 Posts
Want to be quicker huh? Beware, It is a very slippery slope. What are your ultimate goals? If you want to stay NA, I would hold off on the exhaust, and buy a header.

As far as wheels go, I use 16" wheels, BUT, If I were to do it again, I would purchase 15" wheels.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
ALWAYS stick to the stock wires till you top 225+ hp. There is no better wire out there that will help. After 250 or so you are usualy upgrading your electrical system anyway...and getting like 8mm or bigger wires. But fit is always a problem. Stock wires are the best, bar none. There is a reason why Clark always throws on a set when someone comes in to JWT to tune...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input folks. I think I am going to do rims and rubber and then start thinking about the engine. Found out yesterday that it already has a K&N air filter on it as well as a performance muffler (which looks like I could squeeze a few more K's out of her).

I was thinking of 17x7.5" rims with matching tires...any comments or suggestions.

G

·
0 Posts
too bleedin big. Any bigger then 16 X 7 is a waste. 15 X 6.5 is best for looks vs low weight. Enkei makes an RP01 in 16 X 6.5

G

·
0 Posts
if you are going to slam your car to the ground and you want rims go with the 16's but if you are going to drop a litlle like a couple inches or none at all then go with 17's they look nice and you dont have to do anything to your tire well, just put em on! mine look pretty good right?!

------------------
92 nx2000 - im good enough, im smart enough, and dogonnit, poeple like me!

·
Registered
145 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by crazyNXracer:
if you are going to slam your car to the ground and you want rims go with the 16's but if you are going to drop a litlle like a couple inches or none at all then go with 17's they look nice and you dont have to do anything to your tire well, just put em on! mine look pretty good right?!

</font>
uhhhh, Crazy...I would say with 17s it will look a bit odd not lowered at all. After you cut (ouch) your springs your car looked much better.

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 NX2000
not quite stock

[This message has been edited by nx2kPA (edited 05-05-2001).]

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 1dabred:
I have recently bought a '92 NX 2000 and am looking to increase performance. However I am not quite sure where to start. I was thinking of new rims and rubber... I don't have loads of cash and am looking to do small adjustments and / or bolt on parts.</font>
Well start with swapping out your headlights to Sylvania Cool Blues. That should help you at night.
Then get a timimg light if you don't have one and advance the timing 2 degrees.
Then buy a MAF adapter for like $25.00 tops and stick a K&N on it.
Those are the cheapest ways I know to make cheap hp.
Also a tune up never hurts.
Change the oil.
And buy parts you know you plan to keep for awhile. Remember pay cheap pay twice.
The best exhaust is a Dynomax Ultraflow 2-2 1/4". Go to a muffler shop and have them make it up. No ricey tips please. A can of VHT should make it last.
A JWT ECU is the next step. It is expensive but a definate bolt on that is easy.
Good brakes, flush and use Motul ot Valvoling Synthetic Brake fluid. Stainless steel lines and new rotors (X-Driled are not necessary) are good too.
Axxis are $35 locally for the fronts.
When you go suspension just avoid Tociko altogether and get KYB AGX's. Spring choises are not as important as the struts at this point. Get the struts first and get that out of the way. Rather good struts and stock springs than lowering springs and dead struts.
Thats all I could think of now other than wax and touch up paint.
As for rims, just get some nice 16"'s with 205 45 16's. Thats way you don't have to buy 15's then wonder what the car would look like if you bought 16"'s.
Remember think it out before you end up buying stuff twice and spending more money than neccessary. I know. Been there done that!

G

·
0 Posts
..and how much is a set of KYB AGX's vs. the cost of the TOKICO's? About double the price if I'm not mistaken. What's the difference between the KYB AGX and KYB GR2 other then adjustibility of stiffness?
I'm looking into getting a set of new shocks very soon, but don't want to break the bank.
Any sudgestions?

Frank

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pretty White:
Well start with swapping out your headlights to Sylvania Cool Blues. That should help you at night.
Then get a timimg light if you don't have one and advance the timing 2 degrees.
Then buy a MAF adapter for like $25.00 tops and stick a K&N on it.
Those are the cheapest ways I know to make cheap hp.
Also a tune up never hurts.
Change the oil.
And buy parts you know you plan to keep for awhile. Remember pay cheap pay twice.
The best exhaust is a Dynomax Ultraflow 2-2 1/4". Go to a muffler shop and have them make it up. No ricey tips please. A can of VHT should make it last.
A JWT ECU is the next step. It is expensive but a definate bolt on that is easy.
Good brakes, flush and use Motul ot Valvoling Synthetic Brake fluid. Stainless steel lines and new rotors (X-Driled are not necessary) are good too.
Axxis are $35 locally for the fronts.
When you go suspension just avoid Tociko altogether and get KYB AGX's. Spring choises are not as important as the struts at this point. Get the struts first and get that out of the way. Rather good struts and stock springs than lowering springs and dead struts.
Thats all I could think of now other than wax and touch up paint.
As for rims, just get some nice 16"'s with 205 45 16's. Thats way you don't have to buy 15's then wonder what the car would look like if you bought 16"'s.
Remember think it out before you end up buying stuff twice and spending more money than neccessary. I know. Been there done that!

</font>

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ahh yes...do the timing first. Why? Because its FREE! On my car I went from a best of 15.6 @ 88mph to a consistent 15.2 @ 90mph. This was when all I had was an intake.

------------------

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [email protected]:
..and how much is a set of KYB AGX's vs. the cost of the TOKICO's? About double the price if I'm not mistaken. What's the difference between the KYB AGX and KYB GR2 other then adjustibility of stiffness?
I'm looking into getting a set of new shocks very soon, but don't want to break the bank.
Any sudgestions?
</font>
KYB AGX's for the SE-R/NX can be had from anywhere between $375 and $420, depending on where you look. www.p-s-t.com has them for $389 shipped. Also, the Tokico shocks for our cars are just OEM replacements, same goes for the KYB GR-2's, although I've heard that Tokico has now made their HP line with stiffer valving.

If you're planning on utilizing the stock springs, Tokico HP's and KYB GR-2's will be a suitable replacement, however, I would avoid these shocks like the plague if you plan on using aftermarket lowering springs. Those shocks aren't valved to handle the stiffer lowering springs, and the loss of suspension travel those lowering springs give.

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R (with KYB AGX shocks and GC coilovers.)
1993 NX2000 (KYB GR-2 shocks on stock springs.)

G

·
0 Posts
So are you saying that the NX2000 came with the Tokico Hp's as a stock shock? I thought that the Hp's are supposed to be an upgrade?
Can anyone else verify this?
Thanks
Frank

Ps: Does anyone know the case length of the stock NX2K muffler?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
KYB AGX's for the SE-R/NX can be had from anywhere between $375 and $420, depending on where you look. www.p-s-t.com has them for $389 shipped. Also, the Tokico shocks for our cars are just OEM replacements, same goes for the KYB GR-2's, although I've heard that Tokico has now made their HP line with stiffer valving.

If you're planning on utilizing the stock springs, Tokico HP's and KYB GR-2's will be a suitable replacement, however, I would avoid these shocks like the plague if you plan on using aftermarket lowering springs. Those shocks aren't valved to handle the stiffer lowering springs, and the loss of suspension travel those lowering springs give.

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R (with KYB AGX shocks and GC coilovers.)
1993 NX2000 (KYB GR-2 shocks on stock springs.)
</font>

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [email protected]:
So are you saying that the NX2000 came with the Tokico Hp's as a stock shock? </font>
No, I am not saying that, though I remember hearing something like that on the SE-R mailing list a few years ago. I'm saying that the Tokico HP's are no better than an OEM shock. Just like the OEM shock, they are not made to dampen lowering springs or stiffer springs. However, as stated in my previous post, I've been told that Tokico has stiffened up the valving on their HP line.

Bottom line: You'll be fine with the Tokico HP or the KYB GR-2 if you're using stock springs, but those shocks will die hard and fast using aftermarket lowering springs, or coilovers.

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
1993 NX2000

·
Registered
883 Posts
and clear taillights

------------------

Kris94G20™
"clears and stickers, the best bang for your buck"
The Beginning.

[This message has been edited by kbslacker (edited 05-28-2001).]