SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"Keep firing, Assholes!"
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yesterday i went down to my dad's buddy's machine shop with my mounts and my new prothane solid mounts. has anyone else worked with these prothanes before? they are a real bitch to get in. one of them actually tore a little on the edge from pressing it in so tight. well either way, for anyone looking at buying these prothanes make sure you have a press available or you will not get the old ones out or the new ones in. (unless somebody has a secret i don't know about) just passing on some info.

·
"Keep firing, Assholes!"
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
****, sorry, I'm dumb today! I swear I've been seeing things, and I haven't even been smoking the funny ****! :(

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
i thought you resigned from being a Nazi, Harris? :D

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
The glorious past is calling for me to come back, yet I fight the urge...

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
hey be nice to harris hes just getting senile at his old age :tongue:

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Well, ON TOPIC!!!! Anyways:

I have the prothanes. I had no access to any kinda press or any special tools to help me. I installed all 4 by myself (except at the very end you need help) In about 2-3 hours.

I had an extra set of mounts, so I took those and torched them with the propane torch. Let it burn for awhile, then knoc all the rubber out. Then I put them in the water to cool. The black rubber stuff gets all over everything, and is a bitch to get off. Then I took a very slim flat head scre driver witha hammer and banged the screwdriver into the wall of the mount, in between the mount and the ring inside the mount. Doing that makes a bend/buldge in the ring. Then I took a sharp chisel and a hammer and banged the chisel on the buldge, which cut the ring in half. Once I did that, the pressure on the ring was relieved, and I pryed it out with a screwdriver.

This is where you need some help. I got my brother to help me and it took about5-10 minutes to press them in without a press. If you look at the prothanes, one side is shiny & smooth, and the otehr is kinda rough. I got some white grease and sprayed it all over the shiny smooth side. Then I jacked my car up so that the front tire was far enough off the ground for me to fit the mount as well as the prothane insert under it. take your mount and lay it on its side, and put the prothane with the shiny, greased side down on top of the mount(you need to spray the grease on the insed of the mount too). Make sure you DO NOT have the brass sleeve for the bolt already in the insert, or it probably wont go in. if you have a piece of ply wod to put over top of the mount it may help keep the mount cenetered as you lower the car onto it, but its not required.What I did was lay on the ground and kept pressure on the prothane insert from the sides to keep it cenetered, while my brother SLOWLY lowered the jack until there was enough pressure on the mount for it to hold itself in centered. Then as I watched (make sure your hands are out by now!) he let the jack down slow, and once it gets to a certain point, the mount will pop in. YOu need to wattch it though, if it wasnt cenetered good, the insert will slip off and go down sideways, and you will ahve to jack it up again and start over. It took me 2-3 tries on each mount to get it centered right. Once it pops in, have your helper jack the car up slowly again while you grab the mount, becasue it wil not be all the way in, only halfway. Once its out from the tire, just press hard with your hands and if you used enough lube, it should slide right in. Errrr...that didnt sound right. Oh well, thats how I did mine, and had zero trouble. Good luck, and PM me if you have any questions.

·
Only Car in Cali W/ Rust!
437 Posts
just go to a machine shop and have them pressed in.. it shouldn't be anymore than 10 bucks.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
StYLez Se-R said:
has anyone done a writeup on this yet....casue im gonna need to get the inserts

Did you read what I just posted? Thats how I did mine with no problems.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
StYLez Se-R said:
yea first i dont have extra mounts......and second im saying like a step by step w/ pics

Oh, well I dont have pics(i might actually, I'll have to look), but it is step by step, its the most through that I think has ever been posted, casue I went crazy looking for stuff on how to install, athats why I went ahead and got an extra set of mounts. even id you don have extra mounts, the install will be the same for you. Jsut jack your car up, then use your factory scissor jack and a2x4 under the oil pan and release the weight from the mounts. Then take one out at a time and do my procedure, and when you finish one, put it back in, and then take the other out and repeat. I woudl alot a whole day for you though because it may take longer since you are doing 1 at a time. You also need to chcek your rear mount (on the back of the x-memeber). make sure that it is still round and not bent. if its bent at all, the new mount wont go in at all, and you will need to buy a new oem mount to use for the install.

·
&amp;quot;Keep firing, Assholes!&amp;quot;
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
good info djmayhem... see, my mounts were out of the car because i'm in the middle of a swap so i didn't have the weight of the motor to help the mounts in. (if you can press those things in by hand i'll be pretty damn impressed) the only one i got in by hand was the round bushing on the dogbone. again, excellent step by step though.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
tystyx49 said:
good info djmayhem... see, my mounts were out of the car because i'm in the middle of a swap so i didn't have the weight of the motor to help the mounts in. (if you can press those things in by hand i'll be pretty damn impressed) the only one i got in by hand was the round bushing on the dogbone. again, excellent step by step though.

Thanks.... you dont press them in by hand, just use a car, any car really. Doesnt matter. But oncethat lip goes in the mount, the tire only presses it in about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way in, so then you can slide it through the rest with your hand.

·
&amp;quot;Keep firing, Assholes!&amp;quot;
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
djmayhem said:
Thanks.... you dont press them in by hand, just use a car, any car really. Doesnt matter. But oncethat lip goes in the mount, the tire only presses it in about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way in, so then you can slide it through the rest with your hand.
that makes sense, so you pretty much just used the car as a press. probably not very efficient, but it obviously got the job done.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
tystyx49 said:
that makes sense, so you pretty much just used the car as a press. probably not very efficient, but it obviously got the job done.

Basically. it took me 10 mins to press in 3 mounts ( the pass side mount I put in with my hands), and it saved me like $25-$50 (what I was quoted to press tehm in from a shop).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts