SR20 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oaky so we (i) blew the motor on our nx. left two rods out in turn 9 at sears point yesterday... need to get another motor and I know the answers are here somewhere but I'm old and may die before I find them...
so here's the situation we want the most performance from a stock motor (JDM) that we can get without going turbo. seems there are the VE VVL bluebird (not sure if this one is turbo). anyway which of these will fit the NX2K without too much hassle. any help would be appreciated. thanks
Cheers,

·
3 NX2000's
721 Posts
The VE and VVL are the same motor (SR20VE uses Variable Valve Lift technology). It will drop right in but you will need either a couple of RPM switches or (best solution) a Calumsult ECU to trigger the cam solenoids.
The bluebird motor is a turbo motor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim,
a few more questions... say we wanted to go with a VE motor and then have a DE motor as a conservative backup.. realistically could we set up for reasonable quick change such as misc. connectors to switch between the two...
thanks again,

·
3 NX2000's
721 Posts
Thanks Tim,
a few more questions... say we wanted to go with a VE motor and then have a DE motor as a conservative backup.. realistically could we set up for reasonable quick change such as misc. connectors to switch between the two...
thanks again,
As I have no first hand knowledge, I'd say that's a better question for the SR20VE forum.
You will at least need separate ECUs tuned for the DE & VE.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
To answer your question, it's simple to swap from VE to DE or vice versa. You would use the stock NX2000 distributor in either engine, engine mounts are the same, same header will bolt up to both engines, etc. As Tim mentioned, you would need different computer programs for each setup.

But either way, get an oil cooler, that might have prevented you from losing this engine. Search 'oil cooler' and username 'Choaderboy2' and you will find some excellent information on making an SR20 last in road race conditions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts